Rooster is aggressive to only one hen

Nrobbins1734

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 7, 2013
My rooster is very aggressive towards my hens but not towards me or any of the other chickens just that one hen. That one hen has a wound on the back of her neck from the rooster pecking her. Is there anything I can do to get that to stop? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Not to sounds like a nay sayer, but you are 100% sure the one hen the rooster is mean to is in fact a hen? It's not that I doubt you. I have just seen case in the past were a rooster was being mean to one particular hen of a mixed breed. He found out later she was actually a he, but because of his mix he didn't have the normal traits of a rooster. He was also one of those that didn't crow, of course.
Observe your flock closely. Is the hen your boss hen? How does she act around the rest of the chickens? By herself?

Well I know that it is a hen because it has just started laying. She is the boss hen I'm almost positive of that. I am probably going to watch them closely for a few days then go from there.

I've had conflict between my rooster and boss hen on occasion. I think it is because the rooster feels threatened by the boss hen authority. I have had to increase the flock size or add another rooster so my main rooster would be more threatened by the other male than the boss hen. I 'm not sure if this is the case for you, but it sounds that way.

Back
Top Bottom