Rooster is being mean

Candyjablonski

Crowing
Oct 27, 2019
Just got a hen three days ago and my rooster is figuring out what she’s for instead of the kitty. My problem is he’s mean to her and I just need to know if he will stop his bad behavior once everything settles down and she’s comfortable with him. Chases and pecks her some and hates it when she is in a pen. Attacks me when I pick her up to put them in bed. He stands over the pen and walks around it when she’s in bed. He roosts but she doesn’t seem to know how. Any suggestions

Roosters aren't meant to have only a single hen. Here's why. One mating deposits enough sperm to fertilize a hen's eggs for two weeks. This is nature's way of insuring that a rooster will get around to providing sperm for all the hens in a large flock.

More frequent mating can cause immense stress and sometimes injury to a hen, and this can even cause her to stop laying. This is how unnatural it is for a rooster to have only one hen.

My best suggestion is to limit the access this rooster has to this one hen. At the most, she shouldn't have to endure his attentions for more than half an hour a day, if that. Lots of people keep a rooster and a hen as pets, often in Asia, and they are kept in separate cages.

Just a couple days ago I responded to a thread where the hen had lost so much weight she has never started to lay. She has a rooster hounding her as the only hen in his flock. I advised to rig up a side by side enclosure so the two can still interact but she's safe from his attentions. It's important that a hen isn't hounded continuously. Not to ration a rooster's exposure to a hen can even result in her death.

What breed are they and how old? Are you sure it’s not just mating, it can look aggressive. You may end up needing a couple more hens as a rooster can be too rough on one hen.
They are both wynodottes and he’s about 8 months and she’s about 5 months. He also gets the kitty like a hen 😂 but isn’t mean to him. I know they are mating and it’s the first time for both of them. Maybe he will settle down and understand she’s his mate and be nicer. Thank you

Your rooster is like a overloaded testosterone teenager at his age.
He is not going to "calm down" for some time.
And in a couple yeaRs when he does that, one hen will still not be enough.
I hope you eventually have some pity for your pullet, who im not sure is even old enough for this, and separate them.
Your rooster could eventually kill her.
Good luck to you and your pullet.

Your rooster is like a overloaded testosterone teenager at his age.
He is not going to "calm down" for some time.
And in a couple yeaRs when he does that, one hen will still not be enough.
I hope you eventually have some pity for your pullet, who im not sure is even old enough for this, and separate them.
Your rooster could eventually kill her.
Good luck to you and your pullet.
I’m sorry but I just got my hen from a farm and was told she was old enough because they have been breeding chickens for years! I understand he needs more hens and that will be very soon but you just take it for granted I’m not getting more? But you say I’m not getting it? How rude of you. Must be nice going around being mean like you are. I simply asked for advice not for rudeness!

Back
Top Bottom