Rooster is sick

Jojosine

Songster
Aug 22, 2022
Scotland
Hi all
our 7 months old Cream Legbar rooster is all of a sudden sick:
this morning we thought he had injured a leg as he didn't want to stand on his left leg, instead he just stood on the right leg. He crowed most of the day and ate and drank fine. But for the past four hours he has been sitting and not crowed much, he is also losing interest in food. We sat him upright about an hour ago and he was able to stand up, but didn't walk. Now he is back sitting again. Can this be Marek's? This photo is him now:
Harvey_sick2.JPG

He hatched and grew up in a flock of vaccinated (bought) birds, but he is not vaccinated against Marek's. All birds have the freedom to roam large areas with lots of herbs and weeds etc to eat. They also get layer's pellets and occasionally booster vitamins and echinacea to keep them healthy.
I've given him booster vitamins and echinacea which he ate this morning and vitamin B-complex in his porridge this afternoon which he only ate a little of.

If you think it is Marek's, is there a chance he may survive? And what would be the best treatment?

Or if it is not Marek's what could it be? I checked his legs and feet and there doesn't seem to be injury or bumblefoot.

I would be devastated if Harvey dies as his whole hatching and growing up was a bit of a rollercoaster and he is so gentle and sweet with the girls, we don't want to loose him.

Could he have injured his thigh? Keep him in the confined area to see if he improves. No idea if this is mareks.

Can you offer him raw egg yolks to keto his appetite up, maybe some grubs too.

Back
Top Bottom