Rooster issues

peafowl_Lover

Songster
Aug 22, 2023
Ireland
I have 14 hens and 2 young roos with them, 1 roo has started to mount one of the hens. Today a hens comb is all bloody on 1 side. 1 of the roos is terrified of her so I don't think it was him but I don't know about the other. My chickens are my pets so I won't cull them. What can I do?

I have 14 hens and 2 young roos with them, 1 roo has started to mount one of the hens. Today a hens comb is all bloody on 1 side. 1 of the roos is terrified of her so I don't think it was him but I don't know about the other. My chickens are my pets so I won't cull them. What can I do?
There is nothing you really can do. Sometimes they will calm down as they age but most of time they don't. Possibly rehome him??

I have a rooster flock I could put them in but there will be a lot of bullying I'll see what happens. The rooster who I'm kind of blaming is a cream legbar does anyone have problems with them my 3 cream legbars seem to be quite aggressive.

I have a rooster flock I could put them in but there will be a lot of bullying I'll see what happens. The rooster who I'm kind of blaming is a cream legbar does anyone have problems with them my 3 cream legbars seem to be quite aggressive.
Behaviors can't really be attributed to breeds, they are all individuals and often their environments have a lot to do with their behaviors.

If you insist on keeping multiple males, whether they are with females or not, you are gong to have to accept bloodshed as part of the bargain.

Most of us do eat chicken, and those poor Cornishx birds at the grocery store have had worse lives than our birds at home. Few roosters are actually worth keeping, and nobody with a crooked tail (means the pelvic structure and/ or spinal column is faulty) should reproduce.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom