Rooster Lethargic with Watery Poop and Dark Comb

Pics

black_fleet

Songster
Feb 4, 2019
Florida
Hello all,
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a barred-rock rooster named The Governor (Gov'nah!), roughly around one year in age. Last night as I was locking up my flock, I noticed that The Governor was not his usual happy self. Usually, when I put my ladies away, he follows right in to eat and maybe do a little dance or two for a few of them. Last night, he proceeded to climb into the roost and lay right down, not bothering with any of his usual routines.

This morning, when the birds were loosed from their house, he emerged last and very lazily for this guy. I always feed them within the outer enclosure of their house, but they usually don't care too much for the feed in the morning. Instead, within a few minutes most of the birds will run out to the fields, yard, etc. All the hens did as so, as I would expect. The Governor however never left the outer enclosure of the coop. A bit later, we noticed that he gave a small amount of poop, looking green like mint-chocolate iced cream, and maybe slightly foamy, but not even as big as a penny in size. While we watched him, he drank a lot of water, but never approached the feed once. No pecking at the ground or scratching either. Knowing that an isolating chicken can be a sign of illness, I immediately decided to quarantine him in our 'bird emergency care center'. When I caught him, he didn't put up nearly as much of a fight as I would expect from this hefty little guy.

In the time I've watched him so far, he's pooped twice more, both times expelling nothing but clear watery matter. His comb also seems to be a darker shade of red than it is normally.

I have examined him for any wounds and there are no apparent injuries. While handling him, he did not seem to be in pain or in any more distress than I would expect him to be from being handled.

A bit about their food and drink. I always use a small amount of apple cider vinegar in their water, and also regularly clean and disinfect their water sources. I also regularly dose them with red pepper seeds alongside their feed for health. Their feed is a mixture of crumble and cracked corn, though they prefer the bugs in the fields.

As far as the rest of the fleet goes, I have thirteen chickens, two rooster and eleven hens. The other rooster can be somewhat aggressive towards The Governor, but nothing bloody and generally there isn't any physical contact. I am aware that a lack of hens could cause depression in this bullied rooster, and am working towards increasing my fleet size appropriately. The Governor was hatched and I didn't have the heart to rehome him at the time, knowing I already had a rooster.

We live in Florida and the weather has been a bit willy-nilly lately, one day it might be in the 50s-60s during the day, dropping to the thirties at night, followed by a seventy degree day the next, then maybe some rain, then back to the cold. It's been a wild one these past few weeks.

Their housing is a three part setup. I have an elevated box with roosts for them to sleep on. Plastic crates with mesh wire running over them type of thing. That leads to an external enclosure from which they cannot escape without being let out, though they can still go 'outside' if they please. There is good ventilation of the box, but it may have some drafts to be honest. Outside of this two piece setup is a fully fenced in area which serves as the chickens 'yard', though they rarely stay in it anymore.

We live on a decent sized farm and the animals have free roam during the day. Mostly just pine forest in the back and grassy fields everywhere else.

On another note, I haven't really wormed any of my birds beyond supposed natural dewormers like red pepper seeds. In the twenty five years I've kept chickens, I've never had problems. Last year however I bought a few birds from tractor supply, and lost a couple of them to illness, but its been quite a while since the last and there was quite a while in between each illness.

I don't really care to see a vet as the wallet wouldn't really allow it, so I am hoping to get some advice here. These forums have been an absolute boon in the past for me. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated, and if there is anything I can do to clarify the situation, I will do so to my best abilities. I really love this little guy and I would be distraught if anything happened to him.

Alright, since the last post he has pooped again, and it doesn't look great. It's still very watery, some parts milky white, others dark algae green, and I swear I see some long stringy matter, but not 100 percent sure.

Attachments

• signal-attachment-2019-02-04-103931.jpeg
    signal-attachment-2019-02-04-103931.jpeg
    595.5 KB · Views: 27
Have you checked his
crop?
Seeing if it empty’s properly.
Does his breath stink?
IMO red peppers does nothing to eliminate worms.

I have not, I will go do so now. Thank you.

As far as red pepper seeds go, I heard they are not good for getting rid of existing infestations, but that the capsaisin oil creates an undesireable environment for the worms to inhabit. I also heard that in addition to general health, apple cider vinegar will also contribute to a hostile environment for worms due to the acidity increase it causes within the bird's system. Of course, I've never seen/heard of scientific evidence to back these claims up, but its cheap enough to do anyway.

One additional thing, as I was out in the quarantine area doing some clean up, The Governor gave a few crows. They sounded full, though at the end they were somewhat hoarse. I noticed he seems to be making little clicks and grumbles here and there, which I am pretty certain is out of the ordinary for him. I spend a good bit of time with the birds in the day time.

Thank you again for the advice. After checking his crop and hovering my face around his beak area, everything seems normal. The crop isn't hard or impacted, but it does feel like there is at least something in it. He likely ate normal yesterday though. As far as his breath and odor goes, I didn't smell anything off, but I didn't pry his beak open and give a sniff either, more so just hovered very close to his beak (2-3 inches) and sniffed for about a minute or so. Is this a sufficient check?

Personally I do not give ACV continually in drinking water. It’s acidic very acidic. I think of it this way...if there’s a situation where the chickens need help “drying” something out I give ACV. like respiratory issues mucous and such. Or when the crops go sour. Continually using ACV can cause its own issues. It changes the Ph level of the digestive system. I couldn’t imagine drinking acid water continually could you?
I’d suggest fresh clean water. Nothing more. AVC has its usefulness. But I’d try removing it.

To properly check the function of the crop feed the Roo as normal. Then after he roosts at night feel the crop take notice of how full, soft, hard it is.
Then pick up all feed.
First thing in the
Morning check his crop again.
If it’s emptied it actually should be hard for you to find.
This let’s you know if it’s functioning properly.

Personally I do not give ACV continually in drinking water. It’s acidic very acidic. I think of it this way...if there’s a situation where the chickens need help “drying” something out I give ACV. like respiratory issues mucous and such. Or when the crops go sour. Continually using ACV can cause its own issues. It changes the Ph level of the digestive system. I couldn’t imagine drinking acid water continually could you?
I’d suggest fresh clean water. Nothing more. AVC has its usefulness. But I’d try removing it.

Thank you for the advice. Do you think that a teaspoon per gallon would be problematic to their health? I agree that acidic water would not be great to drink, though from what I found while researching it, a teaspoon per gallon seemed to be considered okay and beneficial, so I didn't really think too hard on it. Trying it and smelling it, I don't notice much of a difference, but chemically of course I can not detect, and nor can I assume to know how strong the senses of a chicken are.

To properly check the function of the crop feed the Roo as normal. Then after he roosts at night feel the crop take notice of how full, soft,hard it is.
Then pick up all feed.
First thing in the
Morning check his crop again.
If it’s emptied it actually should be hard for you to find.
This let’s you know if it’s functioning properly.
Thank you for the follow up, I will do this tonight and post my findings in the am.

Back
Top Bottom