Rooster loosing feathers badly...

Juliechickens

Songster
12 Years
Apr 7, 2007
Memphis, TN
Hi, I'm not sure exactly what is going on but I have a silky rooster, one of 4 roosters, who is loosing his feathers. He almost looks like he has the mange. There is a broody female sitting on eggs in the barn and they are now all doing well. 2 of my other roosters are silkies and they are doing perfectly well and I have one bantam frizzle roo who is also doing well. The rest of my birds are hens and I have about 20 hens. All of my flock has always gotten along well and never fight.
The silkie rooster that is loosing feathers is staying off by himself away from the flock during the day. He also sleeps in a corner by himself at night. It looks like his neck feathers right below his head are starting to grow back but he has patches of missing feathers all over. At first, I thought maybe its the extreme hot weather we are having in Memphis, but the other roosters are doing fine. I keep a fan in the barn for them at night.
Any ideas on what this could be and also should I remove the rooster from the flock and bring him inside in a cage for healing therapy time or will this stress him out more? I'm not sure what to do. Please help. Julie
sad.png

Also, I realize that hens lose their feathers and grow new ones but do roosters do this as well? I know this must be a dumb question to most of yall but I haven't raised enough birds yet to know all this. I've only had chickens for 1 1/2 years. I'm very over protective of them and I just want to do the right thing. They are all my pets and very special to me. Julie

He is molting more then likely..however check him for bug's and egg sac's..look at his vent area first for moving tiny tiny bugs.. eggs in the feathers look like little blobs of white sacs

Hope this helps
Charlie

Hey Charlie, Thank you!!!! For the reply! Yes, that helps and I will indeed check him carefully. I did not know the roosters would molt also. Every time I get on this site, I learn something new. I'm not a big computer person so I'm not on here often but when I have a chicken question, this is the first place I go. Thank you again, Julie
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom