Rooster mounting hens in front of us.

KelBelle

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 15, 2010
I have seen reference that this is not be allowed. Mine does this all the time. Can someone please explain why this is not acceptable? I guess we should start stopping this behavior.

Some people are of the opinion that they should have "head rooster" status to keep their boys in line. In a flock with more than one roo the head roo would not allow any subordinates to mate the hens. Personally I like to let my roos do their job as they see fit. All I want to be is food and water bringer, i have no desire to be head roo and it seems to work for me. I let him do his thing and he lets me do mine with no issues.

Last edited:
Quote:
===========
oooohhhh... gotcha.
he.gif

My roo did it all time and he still knew I was the boss. He was also a gentle roo and I almost never had a problem with his attitude (he did not care for my 23 year old daughter though and would always go after her, she just carried a broom and it kept him at bay). Ive never heard of preventing a roo from mating because of a dominance issue.

So, perhaps it isn't a huge deal? I feel like there is plenty of respect given to us by our rooster right now. He is the only that gets out of our way when we are walking in the coop. The hens just try to peck all of the snow off our boots. He gives us room to walk and has no problems with being held either. I have been told to hold him often to keep him comfortable around us.

Back
Top Bottom