Rooster not hens reject new hens

Chickhawk

Chirping
Nov 15, 2022
QC, Canada
I have an existing flock of 11 hens and 1 rooster. I tried introduce 3 new hens to the flock using a separate coop/run adjacent to the main coop/run. Well, it is the rooster that rejects the newcomers, not the existing hens. As a temporary solution, I sent the rooster in timeout in a separate pen. I will try to re-introduce him after a few days. So far, the 3 new hens are mixing no problems with the older hens. Anyone has advice on how to re-introduce him?

You could put him in the coop and see how he reacts to the new hen's. If he's attacking them you could wait more. But if he does not do anything and stays calm maybe try adding him back to the flock. I have that experience but what i did i put him in the other chickens cage then I added him back to the flock. Or you can also put the hens in a separate pen and leave them there for a while.

You could put him in the coop and see how he reacts to the new hen's. If he's attacking them you could wait more. But if he does not do anything and stays calm maybe try adding him back to the flock. I have that experience but what i did i put him in the other chickens cage then I added him back to the flock. Or you can also put the hens in a separate pen and leave them there for a while.
This is actually exactly what I am currently doing.

I would just give him a lot more time to get used to them.
How much room to they have?
If there is plenty of room for them to get away from him, I might just let them sort it out themselves, as long as no one is getting injured.
Otherwise keep them in two separate pens alongside each other.

I have an existing flock of 11 hens and 1 rooster. I tried introduce 3 new hens to the flock using a separate coop/run adjacent to the main coop/run. Well, it is the rooster that rejects the newcomers, not the existing hens. As a temporary solution, I sent the rooster in timeout in a separate pen. I will try to re-introduce him after a few days. So far, the 3 new hens are mixing no problems with the older hens. Anyone has advice on how to re-introduce him?
It is almost always better to let the chickens sort out their heirachy problems. As long as the rooster isn't causing the newcomers any physical harm then let them all get on with it.

Back
Top Bottom