Rooster or hen?

Doesn't look big enough to be six months. And at 6 months old, a cockerel would have clear male saddle and hackle feathers. Now, if it's the same age as the other chicks, 12 weeks, then it is definitely a cockerel.

Doesn't look big enough to be six months. And at 6 months old, a cockerel would have clear male saddle and hackle feathers. Now, if it's the same age as the other chicks, 12 weeks, then it is definitely a cockerel.

Well we had 4 and one ended up being a cockerel, so we got rid of him and got this one. The lady we bought her from said she was 6 months old and was a pullet. I'm new to the chicken raising, I was looking at pics and thought it looked like a pullet. Here's a pic from today

I live in city limits and can't have a cockerel/rooster. I'm not sure how to tell for sure. But one of them were crowing lol. I'm guessing it's this one.
1f614.png
1f622.png

That one looks like a pullet, from those more recent photos. She should be laying pretty soon. Cockerels over 12 weeks old will start to have male saddle feathers coming in. They are long, thin, pointed feathers one the back, near the base of the tail.

That one looks like a pullet, from those more recent photos. She should be laying pretty soon. Cockerels over 12 weeks old will start to have male saddle feathers coming in. They are long, thin, pointed feathers one the back, near the base of the tail.

Thank you!! Have you heard of pullets crowing? And do they stop?

Back
Top Bottom