Rooster or hen

Becksyboo

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2016
Northern Ireland
I hatched out some eggs under my broody Wyandotte nearly 3 months ago. I'm pretty sure this little guy is a rooster but can someone confirm for me?

Do you have a roo in your flock? If you cant keep them because of noise and you have fallen in love with this fella, if he is a boy, you can try the no crow collar. I did this with my roo and thank God it works great!! So if it turns out male and you dont have another roo and you want to keep him give the collar a try before you re home him. My guy is a silver penciled rock and its 100% effective for him. Im so greatful they made this collar!

Is this a better view? I actually don't have another rooster in with my girls so I was planning on keeping this guy if he is a rooster anyway, I wasn't aware of a no crow collar so that's great to know In the future thanks!
[/IMG]

That actually looks a lot like a my two BR hens...I've read the roosters are a little lighter in color bc they have an extra barring gene or something? She looks pretty dark to me! I don't see any of the too saddle or hackle feathers either. My vote is hen!

Does the bird have black staining down its legs and feet? I cant blow up the picture to see. I have 11 female barred rocks about 5 months old now and they ALL HAVE that black stain on their legs since they were hatched. It might be a female clue.

That actually looks a lot like a my two BR hens...I've read the roosters are a little lighter in color bc they have an extra barring gene or something? She looks pretty dark to me! I don't see any of the too saddle or hackle feathers either. My vote is hen!
I got the eggs from a hybrid hatchery would that make a difference in the colour?

Back
Top Bottom