Rooster or hen?

Zipdot12

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2022
I have four 3 year old hens and recently added four more hens to my flock. I bought them at Tractor Supply and made sure that I was getting pullets only. They were all the same age when I bought them and about a month ago I started to notice that one was so so much larger than the others and it’s comb and waddle is a lot bigger and redder. I’m beginning to think that I have a rooster but not sure what to look for. I’ve never had a rooster before. Help please. EFE6F9AE-C709-48B1-A540-27AE650E6D79.jpeg

I’m beginning to think that I have a rooster but not sure what to look for.
Welcome to BYC! :frow

You are correct.. the shiny and flowing saddle feathers start showing on most boys around 12-16 weeks old and he is sporting them well.

Images from google..
1669048289259.png

1669048304325.png

Unfortunately sexing is not 100% accurate. Most places claim about 90%. If bought directly from the hatchery.. they would refund your $ though you would still have to deal with the bird. TSC has no specific policy that I'm aware of. Many local feed stores may take or buy back the cockerels.

The best way to truly get pullets only is by purchasing sex linked chicks.. even then.. sometimes mix ups happen either at hatchery or at store with all those bins and breeds.

If you are able to keep him.. hopefully the elder ladies will teach him some good manners! :fl

The one in front is definitely a rooster, because like you said about the comb but one can't always tell by comb and wattles (some sizes vary by breed), you can look at the feathers:

Screenshot_20220528-121904_kindlephoto-292348401.png

The rosters have hackle (long pointed feathers at base of neck) and saddle feathers(the shiny droopy ones at the base of the tail) the trademark long curved tail feathers are also a trait of roosters.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

You are correct.. the shiny and flowing saddle feathers start showing on most boys around 12-16 weeks old and he is sporting them well.

Images from google..
View attachment 3329249
View attachment 3329250

Unfortunately sexing is not 100% accurate. Most places claim about 90%. If bought directly from the hatchery.. they would refund your $ though you would still have to deal with the bird. TSC has no specific policy that I'm aware of. Many local feed stores may take or buy back the cockerels.

The best way to truly get pullets only is by purchasing sex linked chicks.. even then.. sometimes mix ups happen either at hatchery or at store with all those bins and breeds.

If you are able to keep him.. hopefully the elder ladies will teach him some good manners! :fl
Thanks for clarifying this for me. He is about 18 weeks so it all makes sense now. He even crowed a little this morning. If I keep him, when does he become mature enough to start mating with my girls?

Thanks for clarifying this for me. He is about 18 weeks so it all makes sense now. He even crowed a little this morning. If I keep him, when does he become mature enough to start mating with my girls?
He’s definitely a rooster!! I’ve had a rooster that started mating at a very young age, so it just depends on the rooster!

Back
Top Bottom