Rooster Problem

Blessing

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 13, 2013
My rooster has been acting up lately. Today when I was feeding bringing water to my chicks in the brooder he ran into the back of my legs. I incubated these chicks and have them in a brooder in a separate shed from the chicken coop. So I don't think it was him protecting the chicks(he never even met them). Anyway he never ran into me before but he has ran at me and he even took a chunk out of my mothers leg from pecking her a while back and she loves him and treats him really well. I did hold him down after he ran into me but he keept pecking me( he has never done that before. I now have him locked in the coop so he cant hurt anyone. I let my chickens free range. What can I do to sort out this problem. He seems to run at me every time im feeding him and the hens, sometimes he pecks me when I put the feeder dont. Any ideas why he is doing this?

He took a chunk out of your momma's leg and is still living? Why? There's nothing this particular rooster could offer to keep him alive after committing the capitol crime of injuring a human.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like he is just trying to establish himself as dominant over you. Roosters attack to defend themselves from predators, protect future mates, and control their "territory." No matter how kind you are to a rooster, it is still an animal, with certain instincts. He probably considers you a threat to his area, and is trying to chase you away.

I would keep grabbing him and holding him down whenever he charges/pecks you. And feel free to use your hand or fingers to "peck" him sharply on the head when he attacks. That is what a dominant rooster would do if confronted with this behavior from a subordinate.

If he continues to get more aggressive, though, it may be best to get rid of him. Nobody wants an aggressive bird around.

He will hurt you and anyone else available. Invite him to dinner, or send him off to someone who will do the same. Maybe one of your new chicks will become a nice boy instead. Mary
I agree. He wasn't just "running into" you, he was attacking you. He wasn't trying to protect the chicks. He's already taken a chunk out of your mother's leg. Do you have young children that ever come visit? If he's already injured your mother - an adult - imagine what he could do to a child. You can try to tame him, and he may come to respect you, but that does not guarantee that he will respect anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom