Rooster Questions

poultrypalooza

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 7, 2014
Last summer I was given a flock of chickens, 2 roosters and 5 hens. I did not want the roosters in with the hens so when my husband and I built the coop we only put the hens in and let the roosters be "free range". One of the roosters was a game bird, I guess that's what he was. Anyway during our really hard winter we had he got frost bite on both legs. He lost one leg and lost 3 toes off the other foot. This spring, he was killed by a predator because he couldn't roost at night. (I think it was a mercy because we were strongly considering culling him anyway.) The other rooster is a Light Brahma whom I have named "Goliath". He is a WONDERFUL rooster! He is like a big feathered puppy! He comes when he is called and follows me around, just like a puppy! About a month ago, he got into a fight with the neighbors free range rooster and Goliath was blinded in one eye. I'm now concerned that something bad will happen to him (predator) and am considering building him a "bachelor pad". I was thinking of building an addition on to the hens space so that he can be near the hens but not with the hens. I just need your thoughts and opinions on this. How big does the yard need to be for a single rooster? What type of shelter does he need? Would a large dog house work for a shelter? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Personally, I wouldn't keep a single bird by itself. Chickens are flock birds and thrive in the company of others. He will be pretty vulnerable to predators by himself. Since he has an easy going personality and you only have him left, my advice would be to just put him with the hens and save yourself the trouble of putting up another coop for a single bird. Bachelor pads usually come in handy when you have multiple roos. But, that's just my opinion.
smile.png

Personally, I wouldn't keep a single bird by itself. Chickens are flock birds and thrive in the company of others. He will be pretty vulnerable to predators by himself. Since he has an easy going personality and you only have him left, my advice would be to just put him with the hens and save yourself the trouble of putting up another coop for a single bird. Bachelor pads usually come in handy when you have multiple roos. But, that's just my opinion.
smile.png
Thanks for the response! I considered just putting him in with the hens, but do you think they would gang up on him and kill him because he's blind in one eye? If the "bachelor pad" is right next to the hens would that take care of the loneliness issue or would it just frustrate him?

Thanks for the response! I considered just putting him in with the hens, but do you think they would gang up on him and kill him because he's blind in one eye? If the "bachelor pad" is right next to the hens would that take care of the loneliness issue or would it just frustrate him?
I would try it and see. Just keep a close eye on them and see how the hens treat him. Some birds can be more aggressive than others. All of the roos that I have introduced to hens have always stood their ground and things seem sorted out within a couple of days. But every bird is different. Maybe try and let them out on a supervised range together to see how tense things get. If it's just a couple of pecks here and there, then you could probably stick him in the coop soon. (say after two or so days of ranging) If it looks like chicken World War III (more common with younger new additions) then you may need to set something up inside the coop if possible so the hens can see him, but can't get to him. Like I said, roos are bigger than hens, so disagreements will probably not go too far. But, this roo does have a disadvantage with his eye, and some hens can be nasty ole' biddies. My guess is that it should work out with a little time and patience. I'd love to know how it goes. Best of luck!
smile.png

I would try it and see. Just keep a close eye on them and see how the hens treat him. Some birds can be more aggressive than others. All of the roos that I have introduced to hens have always stood their ground and things seem sorted out within a couple of days. But every bird is different. Maybe try and let them out on a supervised range together to see how tense things get. If it's just a couple of pecks here and there, then you could probably stick him in the coop soon. (say after two or so days of ranging) If it looks like chicken World War III (more common with younger new additions) then you may need to set something up inside the coop if possible so the hens can see him, but can't get to him. Like I said, roos are bigger than hens, so disagreements will probably not go too far. But, this roo does have a disadvantage with his eye, and some hens can be nasty ole' biddies. My guess is that it should work out with a little time and patience. I'd love to know how it goes. Best of luck!
smile.png
My husband told me the same thing about putting him in with the hens and watching what happens. So, I think that's what I'll do. I have to catch him first, that might be a challenge. :) I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom