Rooster rehab after coop move?

mcclucker

Songster
Jul 2, 2016
VT
My Coop
My Coop
I have a 10mo roo (Easter egger mix) that I hatched myself and he has a flock of 10 mixed age girls. He has always been great with them and with us, including my 13yo daughter. We have raised him to not be overly friendly and respect us and trust us. I thought we had done a good job with him until we moved the birds into a new coop (same run) a few weeks ago. He has become aggressive with me somewhat but especially with my daughter. He has total respect for my husband of course. I have been able to reassert my authority with him and he lets me feed and pet his girls again but my daughter is having a hard time. He chased her out of the run the other day and tried to peck her through the coop window. I’ve never seen him act like this. We are planning to put her in her snow pants so she can stand her ground with him without being afraid but is there any hope for him? I need her to be able to help me with the birds :(

He’s hitting puberty combined with surging hormones due to spring weather. Maybe this is the main cause. It is concerning that he is being aggressive, and you are right to be concerned. Some people will pen a male separate till they settle down in a few months.

First off, good for you for wanting to try rehab. So many people jump into rehoming.
Sometimes a boy can't be respectful of human interaction. At 10 months old he is testing his ground and trying to establish HIS dominance. Seeing as how he has already chased her out of the coop he will most likely target her again.
I always use a total hands off approach with my boys. However, on the occasion I do come across a temperamental young cockerel I carry a long stick and tap his rump when he tries to approach me. I also tap him if he tries to crow while I'm in the coop. I'm not saying my approach is guaranteed or 'correct' but it does work for me.
Good luck to all of you and keep us posted! :frow

Also, I personally wouldn't separate him. To me it seems to not resolve the issue. He's not having the problems with the flock he's having issues with the humans. Separating him could also present reintroduction issues in the future.

Sounds like he’d make a good meal, or give him to someone who likes the behavior.Unfourtently rehab doesn’t always work, if it does,congratulations,but it’s not for sure.Hormones raging or not the birds nearly a year ,it would be a bit more acceptable has it been a 5 or 6 month cockerel.Behavior still isn’t acceptable and it could be hereditary, so if you wanna hatch chicks I suggest replacing it with a non aggressive male.

Yeah we will try. I think separating would make it a lot worse. He is just doing his job to defend his girls. I can’t imagine how loud he would be if I put him back in the old coop.

The stick is a good idea. I think that will make my daughter feel more secure too. Part of the problem is she is having a hard time being confident around him and it’s not helping. She is adult sized, my size, but he is probably seeing her as more of a target because she isn’t standing up to him. Will give it a week or so to see if he responds to the stick approach. Thanks. I’d like to keep him because I feel like my girls are safer with him around (we have weasel issues) but not if he attacks my kid :(

Yeah we will try. I think separating would make it a lot worse. He is just doing his job to defend his girls. I can’t imagine how loud he would be if I put him back in the old coop.

The stick is a good idea. I think that will make my daughter feel more secure too. Part of the problem is she is having a hard time being confident around him and it’s not helping. She is adult sized, my size, but he is probably seeing her as more of a target because she isn’t standing up to him. Will give it a week or so to see if he responds to the stick approach. Thanks. I’d like to keep him because I feel like my girls are safer with him around (we have weasel issues) but not if he attacks my kid :(
Nothing is worth our children getting hurt for sure! If it doesn't work then at least you can say you tried, which is all any of us can do. Hopefully your daughter doesn't get discouraged. There's plenty of boys that are respectful of human space. Wishing you all the best!

And he was wonderful at 6 months and I was so excited we finally got a good roo. I’m definitely disappointed (and there are 9 of his babies hatching on Sunday too, so that ship has sailed!)

Try having her carry a long handle fish net. My roosters have only been netted when being treated for lice but they respect the net. It doesn't hurt them or make them angry, but they don't like it at all. I love the net. It makes it easy to heard chickens & prevents me from tripping over them when I'm carrying food or water into the run
Once she nets him once or twice he will, hopefully respect her and the net, and it will give your daughter her confidence back.
Good luck.

Often times, roosters will attack children first, then women and finally men. Go ahead and try the above techniques, but chickens really are not fun, if one of them is attacking you, trying to spur or claw you for bringing down the feed.

Roosters have ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of kids. Some people can be brave, but some are not, especially if they are reasonably intelligent and have already been attacked.

What I would expect, is that the rooster does not quit attacking your daughter, but he might get sneakier about it, then I would not be surprised if he then starts on you again, and even take a few goes at your husband.

Seems like when they start attacking, some roosters just keep getting worse. It is a possibility he will get worse.

With roosters, have a plan B

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom