Rooster rescue question

Can you cool it down a little bit with misters and maybe a fan? My temperatures are just about up there with what you are seeing, and that's my plan of attack, I don't have jersey giants but some heavy breeds never the less.
I think we can cool it down for them. This will be the first summer for keeping chickens of any kind, so we're trying to figure out ways to keep them all cool.

Someone who owns JG suggested ice water buckets and fans in the coop. I think misters would be a good idea too. Thanks!

We were also considering some other larger breeds for him, but I think we will have the same issue no matter which ones we choose. All the help is much appreciated!

If you just want to give him a decent home could you just do it bachelor pad style, a few other rosters and no hens to fight over?

If you just want to give him a decent home could you just do it bachelor pad style, a few other rosters and no hens to fight over?
That is an option! We don't need any more eggs than we're getting now. I just thought that if he saw our hens running around he might try to get to them unless he had some of his own.

Others would know more about it than me, I just wanted to throw it out there as an idea.

We got our guy tonight, we had to wait for dark because he's been running free for weeks (roosting in odd places) and was very hard to catch. She hasn't been feeding him, he's been free ranging, so he looks a bit lean, but he's okay. I'll get some pictures tomorrow.

I'm so glad to have him here. :)

I usually keep a few in a bachelor pen. The only time I have problems is when on of the breeding flocks free range around their pen and want to fight the bachelors. I'm thinking of adding a sight block.

I usually keep a few in a bachelor pen. The only time I have problems is when on of the breeding flocks free range around their pen and want to fight the bachelors. I'm thinking of adding a sight block.

That's a question I had about it too. We have a breeding flock that free range during the day, so I wondered if they might try to fight through the fence.

Jersey Giant or Brahma hens might work well with him. His spurs look rather large in the picture - you might want to blunt his spurs and trim his toenails.

Jersey Giant or Brahma hens might work well with him. His spurs look rather large in the picture - you might want to blunt his spurs and trim his toenails.

Yes, his spurs are pretty big and they are sharp at this point. His toenails are VERY long. Thanks for the advice, we want him to be happy, but we also want anyone hanging out with him to be happy too. :)

The poor guy is so wild at this point he doesn't even know to go in a coop or be comfortable around people. I had to wait until dark to take him off the top of the coop and put him to bed. I'm going to spend a little time with him to get him used to being handled.

I love the look of the Brahma hens, so we might go that route. He's not a bad guy, just neglected.

Back
Top Bottom