Rooster shaking his head, but no sign of mites/head shaking in hens (video included)

TundraGhost

Chirping
Jul 2, 2021
Hi everyone! Long time since I've posted here, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on what's up with my rooster(s). I have two, and they both sparsely (but noticeably) shake their head like this from time to time. For the longest time I assumed it was their wattles annoying them since they're so dangly. And I've checked for mites in their ears and on their feathers. The hens do not shake their heads like this at all.

It's more like he's adjusting his crop than shaking his head. How often do you see him doing it?
Only a few times a day, it's not constant head shaking every few minutes. He'll shake his head one or twice then continue his rooster-ly duties

Do something, if you could. Don't let him eat or drink anything in the morning until you can feel his crop. It should be perfectly flat. If he has a hard ball in it, that could be why he's doing this head routine. Anyway, it's something to rule out.

Do something, if you could. Don't let him eat or drink anything in the morning until you can feel his crop. It should be perfectly flat. If he has a hard ball in it, that could be why he's doing this head routine. Anyway, it's something to rule out.
Checked this morning and his crop was flat and soft, so stuff is definitely disappearing from in there!

Excellent. We can rule crop issues out. Try giving him a capsule of vitamin E400iu directly into his beak. Pop the pill right in. Offer him some boiled or scrambled egg with it. Or shave off a sliver of selenium from a selenium tablet and give that to him each time you give the E. Give another capsule later today. Then one each day for three or fiur days. This may be neurological caused by an E deficiency. It's usually simple and easy to correct.

Excellent. We can rule crop issues out. Try giving him a capsule of vitamin E400iu directly into his beak. Pop the pill right in. Offer him some boiled or scrambled egg with it. Or shave off a sliver of selenium from a selenium tablet and give that to him each time you give the E. Give another capsule later today. Then one each day for three or fiur days. This may be neurological caused by an E deficiency. It's usually simple and easy to correct.
I can try to, after I do a little bit of research on it, sure! I don't know if he'll like trying something like that, but if it might help him and it's safe I can give it a try. I just searched up vitamin E deficiency in roosters, and "involuntary head movement" is a symptom, so that could be possible.

HI I have the same or similar issue. I have 14 hens- all are happy, sexually active (he is a busy guy) and all lay eggs- we get 8-10 eggs daily on average. None of the hens do this. He started it a few months ago, he is about 9 months old. I see zero issues with his head ie mites, or other issues. I can try the things mentioned in this thread- but I was concerned it was some neurologic issue----thankfully other roosters seem to do the same thing. How do I post a short .mov file?

Back
Top Bottom