Rooster shaking his head. whats wrong?

Quote:

Hi, I know the question wasn't directed at me, but oh well I'll chime in anyhow!!
big_smile.png

Ivomec Ivermectin Pour on
Ivomec Eprinex Pour On (I have used this one.)
Ivomec Ivermectin injectable

Be aware that some medications have withdrawal times for milk and meat (hence eggs). So you might want to toss the eggs for a certain period. There are numerous threads on these meds- with varying opinions on things. But I just wanted to list the different preparations so you can do a search if you want unless someone answers your question first.
smile.png

Ivomec is the brand name
Eprinex (eprinomectin) pour on for cattle]
I just put 3 or 4 drops on the back between the shoulder blades but I read where someone put in under the wing. Next time I will try that. Just keep it off the down as it will soak it in. I ordered it online from Jeffers I believe.
sharon

Quote:

I would not recommend Ivermec unless you have an infestation. If you are wanting to do preventive med, ensure you have a dust bath box or area for your birds and put some DE and or wood ash in the dust bath box. Ivermec is NOT labeled for poultry, it is for cattle.

If your birds are infested there are some post on BYC already about dosing for birds. The dose is specific to size.

I know this is an older thread but I have the same problem and was doing some research. It seems all the threads have pretty much the same ideas. Mine is a 3 (almost 4) year old BO. The only reason I question the mite theorey is I have over 20 chickens in the same pen and she is the only one with this behavior. She is still eating, drinking, its hard to tell if she is laying considering the amount of birds in that pen. Is it possible for only one chicken to be affected by mites? I am tempted to try the treatment anyway. I have never had to treat for mites before, so maybe it is just my time.
wink.png

I know that this is a very old post, but did you ever find an answer? I have this problem. I have a dozen birds and one, roo, shaking his head frequently. I think I am going to try oil in his ears tonight and again in three days. If that doesn't work I guess I will medicate the flock. Ugh.

I know that this is a very old post, but did you ever find an answer? I have this problem. I have a dozen birds and one, roo, shaking his head frequently. I think I am going to try oil in his ears tonight and again in three days. If that doesn't work I guess I will medicate the flock. Ugh.
Head shaking can be do to many things like frostbite, mites or lice, or a respiratory disease when there are mucus plugs they re trying to clear. Looat the skin for mites, take Q-Tip to the ear gently for ear mites, and watch for nasal drainage, watery or bubbly eyes, eye or face swelling, or sneezes, wheezes, rattles. The wattles can swell during frostbite.

Again, this is an old post but I'm having this problem with my roo. I've kept them in the coop the last 2 days because of the frigid weather. He did develop frostbite on the edges of his wattles. I believe this is due to him drinking and the water runs down, then you have the cold wind, which has been below zero. That's when I brought them in. I noticed the head shaking yesterday and wondered if he could be doing that because I have put neosporin on his wattles and comb. I keep a very clean coop. I check frequently for lice/mites but haven't seen any. With that said, I haven't checked lately so I'll go back out in and bit and check. You are talking about ear mites??? Truthfully, I've never looked in their ears. No one else is shaking their head, only my roo. Could this be from the frostbite? Has anyone seen this? Any suggestions/comments welcomed.

Yes I have heard people describe head shaking because of frostbite, mites, or respiratory disease. Look him over especially under the vent and around the neck for mites. Unless you are seeing signs of runny eyes and nose, wheezing or rattles, I would suspect frostbite as the cause.

Back
Top Bottom