Rooster singing egg song

cldineley

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 6, 2011
eastern,nc
Since it's a pretty nice day today, I went outside with my kids to play and clean out my coop. I only have one rooster and one hen. I also put some pine needles and dirt in there so they could scratch around in to find bugs. After a while I heard my roo clucking, crowing and signing as loud as he could, so I went to see what was wrong. He was dancing and making those noises around the nest box while she was in there. This is the first time I heard him do it so loudly and I have never heard a peep from her while she lays an egg. He is always trying to get her to stay on the eggs but she has no interest right now to do so. This is my first experience with a laying hen and a rooster and I find it extremely funny and entertaining. I could watch them for hours if I only had the time.

My rooster joins also. Say I have 5 hens who layed within a hour and they all start singing the egg song., He will just beller out the egg song with them, But his egg song is like 20x deeper cluck

I've read on here that other roosters do it but with the hens. My hen is silent when she lays. He's the one who makes all the noise when she lays. It's like he's proud of contributing to the egg laying process. I didn't know roosters were like that. I learn something new everyday.

I could spend, oh, let's say "forever" outside watching my chickens. They provide me with so much to learn, and tons to laugh about. I have even learned to laugh when I find yet another potted plant destroyed by a happy bunch of hens dustbathing in the pot, having uprooted whatever plant had been growing there.

I have chickens that follow me around, telling me chickeny things about their day. Or maybe they're snitching off some other chicken that has done something they need to have reported. Sometimes it's even like a conversation:

"Buk brk BUK brk."

"Oh? Tell me more."

"Bukbukbuk, brk. Brk. Brk."

"Really? And then what?"

< grumbly, mumbly sounds >

"Who did that??"

"Buk."

"Ohhhh, "BUK" did that. Which one is Buk?"

< more mumbly, grumbly sounds >

"You're silly, you know that, don't you!"

"Brk?"

"Yes, you. Silly bird."

"Buk. Buk buk."

Oh, and for the record, my dominant rooster, Carl, sings the egg song with the girls, too. Sometimes one of the junior roos will join in the chorus.

Last edited:
I just happen to be out checking for eggs and one of my NHReds was on a next like she wanted to try being a broody. I booted her off and she started in with the 'announcement', just then my Dark Cornish roo, Dumbledore joined in the cluckfest.
They are just too funny.

I would love to hear those roos!
Do they sound like a hen during the egg song?

I don't know what a hens sounds like when she sings because that is the only time my hen is quiet, but he makes enough noise for both of them.​

OMG - My roosters do the same thing! Heh - but have you heard it when all 100 chickens are doing the egg song just because one lil' old hen layed 1 'lol 'O egg???

When a hen lays an egg..It can become quiet loud!

Back
Top Bottom