Rooster to Hen ratio

Mr.Dad

Songster
12 Years
Feb 2, 2007
North Jersey
We want at least one Rooster...two or more would be cool
cool.png

In a flock of 25 birds (yeah my wife, kids and I are going to jump with both feet
wink.png
) how many Roosters would be the norm and why?

Well again, I considered the sexing guarantee which is usually around 90%. So with that gaurantee you should already be receiving about 3 roosters with your order. But if you feel the need to make sure you get a rooster order an extra one for good measure.

If these are standard breeds 1 rooster can service 8-12 females. Bantams rooster can service 12-20 females.

Only get 1 . If you dont the roosters will fight each other or be very territorial. We started out with 6 and boy was that a mistake. It was not planned they were from hatching eggs. I dont think I will hatch anymore because i do not want anymore roosters. I have 17 hens and 1 rooster is more than enough. Kathy in Texas

Quote:
Thats a good point. I wonder what the ratio has been for those who've ordered 25 birds. I will order my one rooster because I want a particular breed for sure.

I asked that question not too long ago and got responses ranging from zero (only one person reported that all turned out to be hens) to FIVE out of every batch of 25 females ordered turned out to be roos. I adopted out a gentle selfless roo in November after he his only chicken friend (a hen) died and he went to a home with 5 older hens and in theory 26 new young ones. No roos. Perfect. But it turned out that THREE of the chicks ordered turned out to be roos. So then suddenly there were FOUR altogether. The kind person whose place this is has adopted 2 of the young ones out already because things were getting really hairy and while there are only two left (the older sweet roo and one remaining new young roo) there is tension between them which leaves everybody stressed. The fewer the better for peace in the land. There are exceptions sometimes where folks on BYC have reported that things have worked out with more but it seems a wild card. JJ

Last edited:
Not only that when i had more roos they literally raped those poor hens. My hens were hiding from them all the time. Kathy I have one with 18 hens and its plenty. I dont want anymore roos.

Back
Top Bottom