Rooster War

So Roo is apparently on the mend minus one eye and I have closed off the nest box area and the front door and allowed him out of the kennel to move around. The question now is should I allow any of his flock in to visit? He gazes (with his one eye) at the door and his hens gather outside but I am concerned one or more might also attack him in his weakened state. Does he need to remain isolated forever?

The only way I had harmony was to put my aging rooster in with several very gentle hens (my bantam Cochins) and kept him in that brooding and grow out pen. He lived his days out there, gently, without the fray of the main flock and definitely out of harms way from his son's challenges. He was definitely happy and content. Died about a year later of natural causes (likely heart attack).

Son now has his flock, and I hatched another rooster that reminds me a lot of the aging Barnevelder, one of the hens he had fertilized before being placed in broody pen, who has taken his place.

BUT I have completely divided my 2 flocks....the cream legbar-olive egger line and the Barnvelder line. Those 2 roosters (who are cousins) can see each other through the fence but not have full access. For some time they fought at the fence, with no harm done to anyone, but now they are completely chill. HOWEVER I do not let them interact freely as that would once again cause friction and competition with the hens.

SO....like potatoe chips...I ended up with more...not fewer...and now have two, count them two, separate flocks, separate coops, separate runs.

It's how I solved the issue (but I have a very forgiving husband who was willing to build me a second coop LOL).

LofMc

He is definitely yearning for his flock but I am not sure if the hens want to be with him or are just coming around because every time they see me they expect treats. They have not combined with Daffodil's flock but they do seem to be mingling more. If i can convince my son-in-law to put up a 2nd much smaller house I could fence down the middle and just let them live side by side. I am conflicted which hens would be good companions. 2 Polish chickens rarely lay but one is super sweet and the other is feisty. Also have a one eyed cochin hen but again she is pretty defensive with the other chickens. She also tends to be broody which Roo would love because he spent a great deal of time either sitting in the nesting boxes or sitting beside a laying hen....always making a very gentle purring sound. I plan to wait at least a full week before experimenting with possible companions. Thx for all the advice and support,

I have had chickens my whole life. Many times, with two roos. I have only had success when it is two roos raised together. They all lived their entire lives with established order. But I have never been successful at introducing a younger roo to an established roo. It has always ended up in blood shed. I am sure that with the right birds, and experienced owner, it can be done. But I doubt it can be done very often. I would say it's the exception to the rule. When they grow up together, seems they learn early who is the bigger, stronger, more dominate one. And the other just submits. But when you introduce a new rooster, to an established flock, well. The leader can, and most likely will, be challenged. And once a real challenge has been done, trust can't be established. Just my two cents.lol sorry that you had to deal with this. And sorry your rooster lost an eye. He is really vulnerable now. I say he would be just fine with his girls. But first chance the new rooster gets, he will most likely attack again. Especially since it sounds like he won the challenge.

Was trying to get pics but haven't figured out the easy transfer from phone to laptop. I purchased a large chicken pen and am currently using only half which is more room than inside the coop. He seems happy and his girls go in to visit and Polly, my gentle Polish chick, spends the night occasionally and everything is coapcetic in the chicken yard. Roo2 has lost his cock a doodle doo but Daffodil has also become much quieter now that the pecking order has reset. Daffodil was introduced as a 2 day old chick so he grew up knowing who was the boss until......Thanks for the comments.

Was trying to get pics but haven't figured out the easy transfer from phone to laptop. I purchased a large chicken pen and am currently using only half which is more room than inside the coop. He seems happy and his girls go in to visit and Polly, my gentle Polish chick, spends the night occasionally and everything is coapcetic in the chicken yard. Roo2 has lost his cock a doodle doo but Daffodil has also become much quieter now that the pecking order has reset. Daffodil was introduced as a 2 day old chick so he grew up knowing who was the boss until......Thanks for the comments.
Easiest way I have found to send photos to my laptop is to email them to myself, lol. Bit for using here I log into the forum on my phone and post them that way.

Easiest way I have found to send photos to my laptop is to email them to myself, lol. Bit for using here I log into the forum on my phone and post them that way.

Attachments

• 58470EC6-0EF6-4057-AC3B-4AD971F9A709.jpeg
    58470EC6-0EF6-4057-AC3B-4AD971F9A709.jpeg
    767.2 KB · Views: 4
  • C7330FD6-0B90-4C03-9E2C-FAE41956A919.jpeg
    C7330FD6-0B90-4C03-9E2C-FAE41956A919.jpeg
    527 KB · Views: 3
So I think that works. Roo2 just went through a massive molt and looks much better. For once in his life he actually gets to enjoy a treat without handing off to a greedy girl.

So don’t be fooled by his sissy name, Daffodil is a force to be reckoned with

Attachments

• BE593823-E5E5-4046-9DE3-1CE631C94D29.jpeg
    BE593823-E5E5-4046-9DE3-1CE631C94D29.jpeg
    461.6 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom