Rooster went hoarse, now comb is turning black

Tomorrow, I would take a flashlight or head lamp, and look inside his beak and throat for any yellowish patches or things that should not be there. Looking at another chicken first while someone holds it's head for you will help to know what to look for. There are a couple of diseases that can cause plaques or infection in the throat. You won't be amble to go past his tracheal opening, but that is enough.

I am sad to report he's dying right now. Today the rest of his face turned dark and he's wheezing. He just appeared to seize a few times....and now he's let out his last breath.... RIP Zephram :-(

I am so sorry that you are losing him. He must have something affecting his airway with his crow being so high pitched. I would look inside the throat with a light. if he dies, you could refrigerate but not freeze his body in a plastic bag, you could ship or take his body to a poultry lab or the state vet for a necropsy to look for a cause of death. I know it would be hard, but you could find out if he had a heart problem, aspergillosis, or something else. I can give you contact info if you need it.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss :( Did you find out what your roo was sick with? I found your post because my rooster is hoarse right now and I'm desperately trying to figure out what's wrong with him. I'm starting to get scared because so far this is the 2nd post I've read and both roos died :(

Back
Top Bottom