Rooster who thinks he is a human

Lissy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 19, 2014
Palmer, Alaska
I have a rooster named Thor that I got from my daughters FFA class. He was such a small little guy at the time her FFA group was going to slaughter the flock for free range chicken meat for a fund raiser, that they asked if anyone wanted him. My daughter raised her hand and we became a rooster owner. I knew I couldn't just have him by himself so I ordered chicks. They arrived in April!! This is the way that I was introduced into keeping chickens. I have had him since December by himself and am having a hard time integrating him with my now 12 week old flock of 14 pullets. He seems to want to be with me more than them and will crow to find me if I am not around. He is not very nice to the chicks. He will peck at their neck and hold on to their feathers as they screech to get away. I have read about how roosters can be aggressive but he is only a little aggressive to people he doesn't know. He also picks at the chicks. Where ever I am he will sit right next to me and let me pet him and he seems to like it. This is a picture of him sitting on the picnic table as I am smoking some salmon. He is my buddy. Did I ruin him? Will he not be able to integrate well with his hens now that he thinks he is human? Any thoughts?

I am not sure what breed he is since he came from my daughters class. I have guessed either a road island red or production red. What do you think?

I would wait until the hens are sexually mature (about 20 weeks) before integrating him with them. It sounds like he's trying to mate with them which is normal since there aren't any adult hens around but the pullets aren't ready for it. Once mature, they'll figure it out.

Good luck!

I would wait until the hens are sexually mature (about 20 weeks) before integrating him with them. It sounds like he's trying to mate with them which is normal since there aren't any adult hens around but the pullets aren't ready for it. Once mature, they'll figure it out.

Good luck!

X2. 18-20 weeks, the pullets should be ready and he will be the flock master.

Btw, your roo is gorgeous.

Back
Top Bottom