Rooster with 2-3 hens?

GoPups

Songster
12 Years
Mar 27, 2007
Memphis, TN
I'm coming to you guys again with another question! I think this fits under behavior.

How many of you have a successful flock dynamic with one rooster and two or three hens? When I was a kid, we had a RIR rooster and hen and a buff Orp hen. Peeps, the rooster, absolutely tore our Buff Orp apart. We ended up having to get rid of him and it took her two years to grow her feathers back.

Are all roosters like that, or did we just have a domineering rooster? We had one Phoenix rooster years later that was very nice, but he was a capon, so I don't think that counts.

What about a banty rooster with standard hens? Would they be as pushy?

Thanks!

1 roo with 2 or 3 hens wont work.he will keep the hens tore up.if you want a roo, you need to have 10 or 12 hens.an then maybe he wont tear them up.

It seems as though all roosters end up being little devils... even with a flock of hens. They just seem to go after you if not the hens. They may be okay for a while but eventually get to acting like roosters... aggressive. I love roos and love to listen to them crow but I won't have a roo with my flock. I am only on 3 acres in a neighborhood so I am limited anyway.

My wild jungle rooster has 4 hens and they're one big happy flock. We've had two hens both hatch 8 chicks in the last month. Another one might be broody. They're completely free-range, though, so I don't know if that affects his behavior. I've never seen him be aggressive - just some wing-flapping occasionally. They're just so fun to watch - it really makes my day
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom