Hen crowing

Laurenwill93

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 1, 2019
I have a silkie hen that I’ve seen lay eggs, but is now crowing. It’s acting dominant like a rooster, standing like a rooster, and crows like one.. I’ve had chickens around 9 years and I’ve never experienced this.
We have 2 roosters in the flock and I know she was a hen, but I swear even her comb has gotten bigger... She is a mature, over a year old lady (3-4)
Will she continue to lay or will that stop?

(We just sold 2 roosters (seramas) about 2 weeks ago and we were left with 1 serama and 1 silkie rooster.)
Could the reduction in roosters have “sparked” this sudden change? Even though we still have 2 roosters.
Also if she is standing like a rooster and she’s looking/acting like a rooster will she go back to acting like a hen ever or is this a permanent change ??

Last edited:
Can you attach a photo of her? I also have a hen that crows every once in a while. She mostly crows if she sees me gardening and it makes her incredibly mad she isn’t outside with me. She has great rooster posture and her crow (used) to sound just like a seramas crow. Some hens are dominate and do crow.

The black/blue is the hen. The splash is our silkie rooster. She has the body shape of a hen but she crows, stands like a rooster, and she’s been jumping/fussing at the other ladies like roosters do with eachother.

Attachments

• IMG_6823.jpeg
    IMG_6823.jpeg
    625.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6824.jpeg
    IMG_6824.jpeg
    626.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6827.jpeg
    IMG_6827.jpeg
    785.1 KB · Views: 12
Are you sure you have seen this bird lay eggs? Could you get a video of the bird crowing and upload it to YouTube? Silkies are incredibly hard to sex. I’ll see if I can call over others to help with this as I am personally stumped.

We have a dna confirmed hen who crows on top of the coop. Every. Single. Day. 🤣 (a little sebright hen who’s name is Princess)

I’m 100% sure I’ve seen her lay. I have had silkies for going on 10 years. They are the only breed I’ve really had (I’ve dabbled in other breeds but silkies have been a constant from day 1 and was what I started with as my first chickens)
I’m VERY VERY confident in my ability to determine roosters from hens. Especially mature silkies. These are all OVER a year old and fully mature.
She only really crows first thing in the morning when they come out of the coop. Maybe a crow here and there but not much after morning. But she puffs up and jumps at hens (like she’s fighting) and today she did the flirty side dance which is the first time I’ve seen her ever do that and chased another hen.
I’m so confused by this because she’s a mature gal, and I’ve seen her lay eggs (in fact there was a time she was broody).
She doesn’t have the big rooster tail feathers either. She’s very round and hen shaped.
I doubt I can post a video I’ve never worked the YouTube and I’m not tech savvy (even though I’m young I should be!)
But I will attach a couple more pics of her and our rooster for comparison. She just stands tall walking around constantly like a rooster I can immediately pick her from the group. I don’t think I’ve seen her try to feed the other ladies picking up food and clucking for them but she did the flirty dance and she puffs up jumping at them..

Attachments

• IMG_6839.jpeg
    IMG_6839.jpeg
    778.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6846.jpeg
    IMG_6846.jpeg
    639.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6850.jpeg
    IMG_6850.jpeg
    643.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6851.jpeg
    IMG_6851.jpeg
    756.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6849.jpeg
    IMG_6849.jpeg
    541.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6841.jpeg
    IMG_6841.jpeg
    692.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6845.jpeg
    IMG_6845.jpeg
    647.8 KB · Views: 3
Here’s our only silkie rooster for comparison. since I’ve gotten out of breeding, I sold all my roosters except this splash. Im just absolutely stumped as to why she’s acting like such a rooster. It’s not necessarily the crowing…. But the behavior changes like flirty dancing with the other hens, jumping up and trying to fight (even puffing her neck feathers) not with our roosters but she does this towards the other hens.
I know they establish a pecking order between the ladies every so often…. But with all her other behaviors I don’t think that’s what this is.. the more I read online about it the more confused I get

Attachments

• IMG_6842.jpeg
    IMG_6842.jpeg
    923.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6844.jpeg
    IMG_6844.jpeg
    819.4 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom