Rooster with bleeding comb and its bad. Help!!!

ooooh. um, herbs help reduce stress for egg-bound hens so I would give lavender and herbs a shot.

UPDATE ON ATTILA- When I went to check on him tonight, he seemed a bit more alive. He drank a lot of water which had tumaric and superfood algae mixed in. He didn't eat so that's a little worrying...:barnieI had to pry open his eyes with a wet paper towel.:sick I plopped some more anti biotic on, and then left him in peace with the weird water and some regular water and some more mash. any suggestions on what to do next?
Thanks,
Marge.

Can we see a photo? Are you certain it was from another rooster and not some other predator? I would look him over closely for other injuries. I would think a comb injury shouldn’t cause him to act down and out unless it’s REALLY bad.

Can we see a photo? Are you certain it was from another rooster and not some other predator? I would look him over closely for other injuries. I would think a comb injury shouldn’t cause him to act down and out unless it’s REALLY bad.
pretty sure it wasn't a predator otherwise he would have less feathers and more blood

Attachments

• 20180318_085753.jpg
    20180318_085753.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 27
Sorry you have to deal with this, injuries are tough. You had to pry his eyes open because of dried blood on them? Or because he refused to open them? The injury is pretty difficult to see from that picture, maybe a closer one so the experienced people here can help more accurately? You said he's your lead rooster, do the other roosters often pick on him? Hang in there!

Sorry you have to deal with this, injuries are tough. You had to pry his eyes open because of dried blood on them? Or because he refused to open them? The injury is pretty difficult to see from that picture, maybe a closer one so the experienced people here can help more accurately? You said he's your lead rooster, do the other roosters often pick on him? Hang in there!
Thanks for the support. Yes the eyes had dried blood on them. I might be wrong about the predetors(or lack there of), I just remembered that we saw a possum on the property a week ago. We chased him away since we couldn't find the BB gun:he Actually the other roos don't pick to much but maybe since it's spring they're going nuts cause the all want the girls to themselves:idunno:bow

If the bleeding has stopped, and the roo is eating and drinking, I wouldn't worry. Keep applying the neosporin for another day or two. The gooey-ness will help prevent or slow down any residual bleeding. You can also dust the wounded area with wood ash (from a woodstove or fireplace) if there is any seepage of blood.

Roos fight, and their combs and wattles seem to be "built" to take a beating... otherwise, Mother Nature would have stopped giving them combs and wattles a long time ago. :)

But, making sure that the wound is clean and that the bleeding is stanched so that a scab can form, is important.

The one problem with keeping him quarantined from the other chickens, is that when or if your reintroduce him, he will have to fight for his pecking-order status all over again. In the time of his absence, a new order has been established and he will be the new kid on the block again. For this reason, you might want to consider giving him his own coop and run, and a couple of lady friends, and let him enjoy life away from the playground bullies.

Back
Top Bottom