Rooster with bleeding comb and its bad. Help!!!

Does he have any wounds around his neck? It looks like there are a lot of feathers missing there, as well. Is this positively from the other two roosters? Thanks for sharing the pics!

If the bleeding has stopped, and the roo is eating and drinking, I wouldn't worry. Keep applying the neosporin for another day or two. The gooey-ness will help prevent or slow down any residual bleeding. You can also dust the wounded area with wood ash (from a woodstove or fireplace) if there is any seepage of blood.

Roos fight, and their combs and wattles seem to be "built" to take a beating... otherwise, Mother Nature would have stopped giving them combs and wattles a long time ago. :)

But, making sure that the wound is clean and that the bleeding is stanched so that a scab can form, is important.

The one problem with keeping him quarantined from the other chickens, is that when or if your reintroduce him, he will have to fight for his pecking-order status all over again. In the time of his absence, a new order has been established and he will be the new kid on the block again. For this reason, you might want to consider giving him his own coop and run, and a couple of lady friends, and let him enjoy life away from the playground bullies.
Our other roos don't live with the main flock, they live with the ducks. They where born and raised by a duck named dos, and they think they're ducks!:lol: as for the bleeding yes it has stopped. We have asystem for re introducing chickens that seems to work pretty well. Thanks for the advice!

Update: Attila has gone downhill. We put him back with the hens on Saturday and they were fine with him until late last night. I knew that there was always the chance of this, but I didn't really think it would happen this time. He got a big chunk of his hear pecked of and it's gross. ThE wound has blood and yellow stuff in it. I want to call the vet but my mom doesn't want me to. Anything that I can do?

For rapid bleeding I have packed cayenne pepper into wounds to aid in clotting. It really does an amazing job (I've used it on myself as well. It does burn, but not for too long). It also has some antiseptic properties. Obviously you don't want to get it in any orifices! And you do need to take little pinches and lightly press it into the wound. Just sprinkling it on the top is not nearly as effective and makes a big mess.

You said a big chunk of his "hear" pecked. Did you mean ear? Or something else?

Yellow stuff, like pus? That could indicate an established infection and is maybe?/probably? more serious than a topical antiseptic could combat. Any more details?

Lastly we apply Blu-Kote over any surface injuries that might be "interesting" for other chickens to peck at. It turns them dark blue to purple, and then to black as the scabs solidify. The chickens seem much less prone to peck at the dark-colored injuries than natural-colored injuries.

But this is all for more-or-less superficial wounds. From what you're describing this sounds like it could be (a lot?) more serious. Hopefully if you can provide some more information that will allow others to help outmore than I can?

Back
Top Bottom