Rooster with bumble foot!!!

Gigachad poultry

Rest in peace Eda ~ 2018-2024
Premium Feather Member
Dec 24, 2022
Vicenza IT
Hello, I was checking on my birds and I noticed my rooster Darcy standing on one leg and although it's cold he's usually completely fine, being very cold hardy. I was dealing with frost bite on his comb so I've been paying him extra attention and I Also saw a bunch if poop and straw/hay stuck to his foot so I removed it. Upon further inspection I noticed there was a pretty big scab and a piece of wood in his foot. His foot is all red and I'm super worried about him! What should I do to help him??? I removed everything on his foot and he didn't react when I touched the scab so I removed it and there wasn't any blood or anything just very agitated skin. I couldn't get any photos of the wounded area but here are some photos of his foot:
1000003882.jpg

1000003895.jpg
1000003887.jpg
1000003877.jpg

Can you post a picture of the underside of his foot showing the foot pad? Did you remove the splinter? If you can bring him inside where it is warm, just long enough to soak his feet in a tub or pan of warm water with some Betadine or chlorhexidene, cleaning the foot well, then dry him well. Apply Neosporin to the wound, and a 2x2 gauze, and wrap the foot with vet wrap or cohesive bandage. Bandage the wound every 2 days or as needed. If he has a bumble inside the wound, it will need to be squeezed out before bandaging. Here is a video on bandaging a foot:

Can you post a picture of the underside of his foot showing the foot pad?
Okay!
Did you remove the splinter?
Yes and there was no blood and he had no reaction when I pulled it out along with the other stuff on his feet.
If you can bring him inside where it is warm, just long enough to soak his feet in a tub or pan of warm water with some Betadine or chlorhexidene, cleaning the foot well, then dry him well. Apply Neosporin to the wound, and a 2x2 gauze, and wrap the foot with vet wrap or cohesive bandage. Bandage the wound every 2 days or as needed. If he has a bumble inside the wound, it will need to be squeezed out before bandaging. Here is a video on bandaging a foot:
Okay! Thank you so much!!! I will definitely try this and see if it works!

So a little update:

He is doing much better and had healed! His foot is a little weird and I've been trying to get a good photo of his foot pad but I'm still working on that. He is walking completely fine and he's putting his foot all the way on the ground and isn't limping anymore!

Back
Top Bottom