Rooster with comb color changing between black and red

cuteychickens15

Songster
Aug 7, 2015
Hi,
Why does my rooster's comb keep changing color from black to red. Early on, its usually red and mid afternoon and afterwards its black (I think its sometimes like this in the morning too, it's just random changing).

He hasn't seem to be having much food in his crop lately (past month or so). He seems to be behaving okay though. Just worried about him. Please help <3 Thankyou :)
IMG_0427.JPG

He's a good looking boy. He may have a blood flow issue, perhaps a heart valve.
Put your ear to his side (if you can) and listen for a "clicking" sound. If you hear it, it's a heart valve malfunction. If you dont hear anything, it's a possibly a blood flow problem.

Came across this thread while looking up the same issue with our boy. His comb darkens toward the rear at various times. Is there anything I can give him or do for him to help the situation?

DB8840ED-0E38-46BE-955A-C372C0A24F86.jpeg

Came across this thread while looking up the same issue with our boy. His comb darkens toward the rear at various times. Is there anything I can give him or do for him to help the situation?

View attachment 1513106
Hi @LulaBell Is your rooster acting normal, eating/drinking, active, mating, etc.?
If he is I would just observe him and take note of when the comb turn a bit dark, mine used to do that when it was hot or after he had been mating a lot. A consistently dark comb could be an indication of circulatory or heart disease.

Hi @LulaBell Is your rooster acting normal, eating/drinking, active, mating, etc.?
If he is I would just observe him and take note of when the comb turn a bit dark, mine used to do that when it was hot or after he had been mating a lot. A consistently dark comb could be an indication of circulatory or heart disease.

Other than the color change in his comb, everything appears normal. If it is a circulatory/heart disease issue is there anything I can do? Or do you have to just let it run its course?

Other than the color change in his comb, everything appears normal. If it is a circulatory/heart disease issue is there anything I can do? Or do you have to just let it run its course?
I don't really know of anything that can be done for heart issues, sometimes that can be genetic/developmental.

Wow I Manifest this lol I was searching the same words to give me relief thank you
Actually my rooster face the same whenever he mating with his toys or playing too excitingly his comb turns dark or if he's comb is too hot in the daytime in summer red like a dark rose and then come back normal in less then 1 sec I see this from very long time since he grow up and shows aggressive everytime.
There's nothing else I read somewhere it's a sign of good health too? Idk Actually but I believe that agitation makes them go a bit dark on comb

Back
Top Bottom