Rooster with impacted/now sour crop.

GravityWaves

Songster
May 5, 2020
Southern Indiana
I got an EE rooster off my friend almost four years ago-before I had any other chickens. I took care of him and he had his own coop and he crowed and got goodies and everything...Fast forward to now and he's been with several different groups of hens and he's been separated from the girls since spring b/c of hormones and things. He's been in his own separate pen in the garage w/ everything he needs.
I gave him a fresh bowl of water yesterday afternoon and came out later to feed some pullets in the garage when I heard him kinda wheezing and gurgling, so I checked his crop and it was full and seemed impacted, so I felt around and he proceeded to puke up a bunch of water w/ some sunflower seeds. I thought he was gonna die there in my arms b/c his comb got real dark and he gasped around for a minute. I didn't smell anything at the time so I just thought he had a little impaction from the sunflower seeds. I massaged his crop a little and he seemed to do better.

I checked him just a few minutes ago and he had a slightly more emptied crop, but with a slightly sour smell. :( Just my opinion but I really think he got an impacted crop from the sunflower seeds with not enough exposure to the grit he needed. After that I think he aspirated a little water when I gave him a fresh bowl. IDK, but it doesn't look that good for Rooster right now. :( Should I give him a little coconut oil to help digest or empty what is in his crop?
His picture is below.
DSC_0778.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom