Rooster with infected Eye (WARNING Graphic Picture)

niki090909

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 7, 2012
My few year old Black Jersey Giant's eye is very infected. I believe it started as an injury in the corner of his eye and has gotten worse from there. His eye has slowly swollen and crusted closed. I purchased a big bottle of Vetericyn "Pink Eye" as it had a higher dose than the gel Opti something or another for other eye infections. I wonder if the gel may have 'stuck' better then the Pink Eye stuff which is a spray. Anyways, I sprayed twice a day, sometimes three for a week and while it stopped oozing as badly, it's now completely closed and just gross. He's also becoming very impatient with me messing with him.

So, what's next? I have on hand, Liquid Enrofloxyn 10% liquid and Doxycycline 20% powder. I also have a Big R farm store nearby and this weekend will have any large farm store available when I head out to shop. I would prefer not to inject anything, I'm a big baby and quite frankly I don't want to put my rooster through that as he's already been very patient with me.

Do I buy the Vetericyn 'gel'? Would that even help if the Liquid spray didn't work? I spent $30 bucks on the spray and the gel is another $20. Don't want to bother buying it if it's not going to work at this point. Which makes me sad as I use to SWEAR by that stuff, but it's failed me this round.

Help? Oh and my gut tells me to clean his eye out. I attempted it at the beginning when it was only 1/4 pussed/swollen closed and all I did was upset him and didn't really do a very good job of cleaning it out. An eye is such a hard place to work on. Do I need to try again to clean it or just leave it alone?

Thanks in advance!

So I ran out and took a picture, since this morning it actually looks like it is starting to drain, I don't know if that's good or bad. :/ Wish I there was a way to put this behind a 'cut' because it's pretty gross.

I am going through the same.

1. Rinse with saline solution, and clean all the junk out. Q-tips and patience work well. <3
2. Tylan 50 (tetracycline) injectable. Pull some into a syringe, REMOVE THE NEEDLE, and use the dropper to put some DIRECTLY in his eye.
3. Neosporin (without pain killer). Apply to wound and leave.
4. Terra-Vet or any other water soluble tetracycline antibiotic. Put correct dosage in water and give free-choice.

I'd recommend isolating him until it heals completely (if you aren't already). An angry, red wound is a bulls eye for the rest of the flock.

I treat my girl twice a day. I'd do it as often as you can for your boy.

Hope this helps!!!

MrsB

Last edited:
Hers looks like it's starting to heal up, so I'm going to give it a shot. I'll run to Big R tonight and grab those supplies, I'm pretty sure they have them. It's only him and his two ladies, I think he'd be more stressed to be away from them and they are all very close and get along well. Is it safe to treat them with the antibiotics in the water, too?

I'm cringing at the thought of cleaning it out with an q-tip, that has GOT to hurt. I'll do the best I can. Thank you SO much!

What about the antibiotic eye drops you can get at the pharmacy (for people)? I would think that would get much better penetration than a spray and be much easier to apply than a gel.

I would definitely do very warm (almost hot) salt water soaks with a sopping wet washcloth a couple/several times a day and clean out what you can after soaking. If you can, use rock salt or epsom salts; table salt has sugar in it but I don't know if that matters or not.

I"m not sure about the human eye drops, I didn't think to use those. I'll look into them. I have epsom salt, so I'll do that as well. I didn't really think to use a sopping rag, I was just trying to pour warm water over his eye with a syringe. Probably why he was getting annoyed with me.

I don't think I would use epsom salts around the eye. Table salt made into saline, or just warm water as a wet compress to the eye would be good. Saline is also pretty easy to find at the pharmacy. The eye needs to be cleaned well or flushed. Vetericyn eye gel, Terramycin ophthalmic ointment, or plain Neosporin/Triple Antibiotic ointment would all work twice a day. The enroflaxacin 10% would work well to clear up any infection if it could be staph or E.coli--Kathy has the dosage. Doxcycline is a member of the tetracycline family, and would probably be better for a respiratory disease. Here is a good recipe for sterile saline:
https://suite.io/kathy-quan/64b22y

I held warm sopping rags on his eye and attempted to get out as much as I could but very little budged, when I did get a little chunk out it looked like it was starting to bleed, so I didn't go any further. On the second picture you'll see the 'flap' of skin, I'm not even sure what that is. I don't know if his eye split from swelling or if it's part of the initial injury. Under that, it's really hard to see, but is swollen with more infection. Believe it or not his eyeball is way back in there under all the swelling and ick. Seems to be ok, so far. I soaked and soaked and soaked for a good hour and dug out what I could but got very little. Cleaned and flushed over and over. I filled his eye with Neosporin and let him rest.

Last edited:
Pus in birds is a hard cheesy like substance,not liquidy as in other mammals. Often it requires a surgical opening,cleaned out and flushed.

Back
Top Bottom