Rooster with one eye closed/swollen

Crow Mountain Chickens

Songster
5 Years
Apr 11, 2018
AR
I have a rooster who's eye has gotten gradually worse. I noticed it partially closed a few days ago, it has since closed to the point shown. I pulled the lid back and dont see any physical damage to the eye. It's just watery and seems to be swollen closed.

I had another hen from the same pen get sick and pass within the last week. She was very lethargic, fluffed up, would eat and drink but was very light and just didnt seem to have much strength.

I started a 5 day cycle of corid because I thought those symptoms lined up. The hen died on the 2nd day. I'm on day 4 Of Corid atm.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20181229_194138.jpg
    20181229_194138.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 20181229_194125.jpg
    20181229_194125.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 20181229_194208.jpg
    20181229_194208.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I'm sorry about your rooster.
Have you noticed if he's been sneezing, coughing, wheezing or if there's been any mucous from the nostrils?

The swelling and discharge could be from respiratory illness - Mycoplasma, Infectious Coryza, Infectious Bronchitis and ILT are some of the more common illnesses chickens get. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I would try flushing the eye, remove any pus that you see, then apply an ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin.

It does look like he may have a couple of abrasions on his face and the corner of his eye(?) it's possible he could have been pecked in the eye and it got infected. The swelling is concerning though.

Corid is a Coccidiostat which treats Coccidiosis only, it is not an antibiotic. I would finish the course of treatment, but it will not help with any infections. Corid is mild and not harmful.

Seeking vet care is always best, especially since you recently lost another chicken. If the eye worsens after a couple of days of flushing and applying ointment several times a day or if he presents with other symptoms or becomes lethargic, you can try treating with an antibiotic like Tylan 50. Dosage is .25ml per pound of weight, given orally, 3 times a day for 5 days.

If you happen to lose him, refrigerate the body and send it to your state lab for testing so you can find out what you are dealing with. https://www.agriculture.arkansas.gov/veterinary-diagnostic-lab

Keep us posted.
upload_2018-12-29_23-46-32.png

I'm sorry about your rooster.
Have you noticed if he's been sneezing, coughing, wheezing or if there's been any mucous from the nostrils?

The swelling and discharge could be from respiratory illness - Mycoplasma, Infectious Coryza, Infectious Bronchitis and ILT are some of the more common illnesses chickens get. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I would try flushing the eye, remove any pus that you see, then apply an ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin.

It does look like he may have a couple of abrasions on his face and the corner of his eye(?) it's possible he could have been pecked in the eye and it got infected. The swelling is concerning though.

Corid is a Coccidiostat which treats Coccidiosis only, it is not an antibiotic. I would finish the course of treatment, but it will not help with any infections. Corid is mild and not harmful.

Seeking vet care is always best, especially since you recently lost another chicken. If the eye worsens after a couple of days of flushing and applying ointment several times a day or if he presents with other symptoms or becomes lethargic, you can try treating with an antibiotic like Tylan 50. Dosage is .25ml per pound of weight, given orally, 3 times a day for 5 days.

If you happen to lose him, refrigerate the body and send it to your state lab for testing so you can find out what you are dealing with. https://www.agriculture.arkansas.gov/veterinary-diagnostic-lab

Keep us posted.
View attachment 1627786

I haven't seen any other signs of respiratory troubles. No sneezing/discharge from nostrils. I was thinking that my hen that died was displaying signs that lined up with cocc. Hence the corid. But this is hopefully an unrelated issue, or I'm dealing with something else. He doesn't seem to be acting any different aside from trying to get around with one eye blind. I was thinking about trying some Tylan next. I haven't seen any noticeable discharge from the eye either. I'll try to get some picture under that lid tomorrow.

You can finish your round of Corid, and think about using the Tylan50 orally 3 times a day. It might help if he has MG infection. If it is a virus it may not. I agree, that he might have been pecked in the eye, or he could have conjunctivitis (pinkeye,) and maybe pecked while he kept the eye closed. The Terramycin eye ointment or even some plain Neosporin used in the eye twice a day, may help. Respiratory diseases can cause watery or foamy eyes, swollen eyelids or sinuses, head shaking, sneezing, and rales. Make sure your coop ventilation from one end to the other is good. If you lose another chicken, it helps to get a necropsy.

I haven't seen any other signs of respiratory troubles. No sneezing/discharge from nostrils. I was thinking that my hen that died was displaying signs that lined up with cocc. Hence the corid. But this is hopefully an unrelated issue, or I'm dealing with something else. He doesn't seem to be acting any different aside from trying to get around with one eye blind. I was thinking about trying some Tylan next. I haven't seen any noticeable discharge from the eye either. I'll try to get some picture under that lid tomorrow.
Look forward to the photos.
The Corid won't hurt the flock, so no worries there. I'm sorry you lost the hen.

Sometimes with swelling like that, there is a thick pus in the eye or sinus. I would also look in his ear while you are examining him just to make sure there's no infection there too.

If there is visible pus, that will need to be pressed out. Even with antibiotics, chicken pus will not dry up on it's own.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom