Rooster with respiratory problem

sreihart

Songster
12 Years
Apr 25, 2010
South Central Pennsylvania
I have a young (hatched last year) blue Orpington rooster who has a respiratory infection. I found him under the coop after dark when I checked on them, so I brought him inside and he has been laying down. I can hear him breathing and it sounds congested. He will drink water for me and stands when he drinks. He won't eat though and this has been going on for two days now. Is there any medication that I can give him since he will drink? Maybe something via syringe? He's a big boy, at least eight pounds or more.

Tylan 50 injectable can be given as a shot or orally. Dosage is 1.25 ml daily for 5 days for his weight. Oxytetracycline, Gallimycin, and Duramycin, as well as Tylan Soluble Powder can all be given via water for common respiratory diseases. It might be good to get him tested to make sure of what he has in case it is a disease that makes carriers of the flock.

if he drinks give him antibiotics in water. my vet does not want to inject to chickens, says they are not really meant for it. I am not an expert and will not discuss if he is right or not.

I have got a cockerel in my house with congested nostrils, guess respiratory problems. I wash his nostrils with warm water and some acv in it, using cotton buds. he likes it, probably feels better. I also put some garlic and cayenne pepper in plain yogurt, he enjoyed it (you can add some water in it). You can try it. Also put some garlic near his head, helps unblock his nostrils (pierce or cut the cloves first).

good luck!

Well, I learned on YouTube where to give the injection and it was pretty easy. I hope to see more improvement tomorrow. He was standing more today, but I don't know if he's eating yet. I may give him some yogurt tomorrow.

Well, I learned on YouTube where to give the injection and it was pretty easy. I hope to see more improvement tomorrow. He was standing more today, but I don't know if he's eating yet. I may give him some yogurt tomorrow.

With the injections into the breast you can give it for 3 days, and orally, it is better to give for 5 days. Alternate sides of the breast muscle daily with the shots, since Tylan can be irritating to muscle.

You should avoid any dairy products or any calcium supplements while using antibiotics. They can hinder the absorption of the antibiotic. Probios dispersible powder once a week and some vitamins-electrolytes in water 3 days a week is best to use when giving injectibles.

Back
Top Bottom