Rooster with small comb & no wattles

BF Vince

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 19, 2016
Mossyrock, WA
I hatched out 2 roos 6 months ago. Both are handsome boys but one has big comb & wattles and the other has tiny comb and where wattles should be is thick short grey feathers. I think they are blue copper marans. Where is my roosters wattle?
RoadRunner1.jpg
Toby1.jpg
RoadRunner.jpg
Toby.jpg
RoadRunner.jpg

Might be a fluke thing but roosters combs and wattles come in all sizes and sometimes yes they may be missing a wattle. If the rooster is otherwise healthy wouldn’t worry about it.

They do look like two different breeds. Could you have two different breeds that mixed? What was in the play yard at the time of egg fertilization? Did you buy hatching eggs and if so where?

They were hatched at same time, but out of a dozen variety eggs I purchased. I just thought they looked alike up until they were grown. They could be different breeds. I actually would love to get some easter egger chicks! Thanks...very interesting. Can you see where his wattles should be? Its a big tuft of grey feathers instead.

I just google easter egger and by golly...my rooster looks just like him including the grey tuft of feathers. Thank you! I was thinking something was wrong with him. He seems healthy and he is a very nice roo. Both my roos are nice.

They were hatched at same time, but out of a dozen variety eggs I purchased. I just thought they looked alike up until they were grown. They could be different breeds. I actually would love to get some easter egger chicks! Thanks...very interesting. Can you see where his wattles should be? Its a big tuft of grey feathers instead.

Well good news then! Usually an assortment pack will typically tell you what type of breeds possible in assortment. So you can tell by process of elimination looking online where bought of breed characteristics and usually the site has a chick identifier. Anymore some Hatcheries are labeling rare difficult to tell breeds so not left to not know for sure. Congrats!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom