Rooster

It's his way of showing the girls that it was a good, safe spot to lay eggs.
I think your rooster has an aggression problem. He is so protective of 'his' flock, that he can no longer tell when something/someone is a threat or not. Honestly, sometimes, the only thing to be done it put him down. Once a rooster gets to the point where nobody is safe from attack, there is little 'retraining' that can be done. It gets to the point where he is constantly on edge, looking for the next thing to attack; constantly terrified that every other living thing is out to destroy his flock. It's not a healthy situation for the bird or the people that take care of the flock. It's one of the main reasons people here discourage first time chicken owners to rehome their cockerels as soon as possible. Cockerels can be difficult to manage.

Best thing to do is have a behavior or object to deter him from being directly aggressive towards you. My sebright rooster, unfortunately he was dinner, was so aggressive, he would charge at anyone especially me when I raised my leg up. To him it simulated another rooster in an aggressive posture. The only person he would not attack or charge was my father, since he constantly caught him whenever he charged or attacked him earlier. The rooster learned from repeated attacks to my father was going to get him caught so he knew not to attack him anymore. However him being aggressive was not the issue why my mother cooked him, it was because he crowed so much like every 10 to 15 seconds... There is another thing though, my sebright rooster never attacked me whenever I had my bug net, which I use to catch chickens with. All the chickens on my property, and my parent's are trained to fear the net. The majority of the chickens we own do not fear our presence, they sometimes even follow or want to get picked up when they see we have no net. However, they scatter and flee when they see a few chickens go wrong and we bring out the net.

I recently discovered a real handy, dandy rooster training tool. It's a Nerf gun and Walmart sells them in all sizes from a teensy model that fits in your pants pocket all the way up to the jumbo Rambo model. It shoots harmless Nerf darts and I got one to use on my four-month old cockerel who is demonstrating signs of incipient jerkness.

I will need to polish up my quick draw.

"I recently discovered a real handy, dandy rooster training tool. It's a Nerf gun and Walmart sells them in all sizes from a teensy model that fits in your pants pocket all the way up to the jumbo Rambo model. It shoots harmless Nerf darts and I got one to use on my four-month old cockerel who is demonstrating signs of incipient jerkness. I will need to polish up my quick draw."

I'd be worried my chickens would eat the darts .......... I'm thinking super-soaker squirt gun.......

Last edited:
Well I have a Japanese bantam, And he is mean. spurred my wife and me in back the leg, and now he even goes after my rots. I have only one female and him. I let them out in the morning to run the yard. and hang with us on the poach. But now he really getting mean .He spurred my dog good and my wife got it badly behind the knee. I don't want to kil; the sob. but cant having him spur us when we turn our backs
And ideals. don'tsay pick him up and pet him, You cant catch him,

Well I have a Japanese bantam, And he is mean. spurred my wife and me in back the leg, and now he even goes after my rots. I have only one female and him. I let them out in the morning to run the yard. and hang with us on the poach. But now he really getting mean .He spurred my dog good and my wife got it badly behind the knee. I don't want to kil; the sob. but cant having him spur us when we turn our backs
And ideals. don'tsay pick him up and pet him, You cant catch him,

You could try a spray bottle or hose.

Back
Top Bottom