Rooster

I placed a 2x4 on the ground and tied his head to a spike to keep him from moving I did this alone and took one chop at his head and the weight of the world was off my shoulders the plucking went well I had hot water handy after I let him bleed out I saved his liver lungs and heart for catfish bait! And he is chilling in a he fridge as we speak I plan to put him in the smoker tomorrow night! I feel pretty good about myself didn't think I could go through with it now I think next time we be way easier

it's a terrible pic but it was 25 degrees outside when I took this pic lol crazy thing is 3 days ago it was 80 degrees and sunny and now they are talking snow in Texas!! It's been a couple years since we had any in fort worth

I placed a 2x4 on the ground and tied his head to a spike to keep him from moving I did this alone and took one chop at his head and the weight of the world was off my shoulders the plucking went well I had hot water handy after I let him bleed out I saved his liver lungs and heart for catfish bait! And he is chilling in a he fridge as we speak I plan to put him in the smoker tomorrow night! I feel pretty good about myself didn't think I could go through with it now I think next time we be way easier
Excellent! I always cut the jugular but have been thinking that perhaps chopping might be better for me as it is swift (I hate standing around waiting to see if I got a good enough jugular cut while the poor guy is staring at me).

As for smoking- I love smoking meats and have been thinking about trying an older roo (18-20 weeks) in the smoker at about 225 or so (like I would do for a butt or something) but have been to scared to give it a try for fear of wasting the whole thing to dryness/toughness. Let me know how your smoke works out (and the age of the bird).

The bird is was maybe 4 months old I had bought 8 birds one turned out to be a rooster and 3 got killed by my neighbors dog lol anyway the rooster had just found his crow and boy did he use it and was becoming very aggressive. I usually brown my chicken on my propane grill about 4-5 minutes and smoke it for about two hours at 220 -225 within that range usually helps combat drying if you can cook the skin a little bit that nice little crunch plus the juicyness and tenderness of smoking it's always pretty good. My girlfriend is saying she wants chicken soup it's 23 degrees outside and that doesn't sound bad either lol

I'm just curious if anyone has ever made chicken sausage out of an older chicken? -- there is a kind of sausage 'chicken, apple, walnut' - I have some in the fridge right now - it's from Sam's Club or walmart -- so pretty available I think.

Also what's the oldest that someone has used a chicken? (and it is still edible) or at some point are they only good for soup?

Thanks for this thread - I'm thinking of going to the chop off the head method too and revising what I used to do.

I love chicken sausage maybe with a little jalapeño and cream cheese maybe some bacon too
1f60b.png
Stop! -- you are making me drool.
droolin.gif

Did you stuff into casing (is that what it is called?) -- I think my kitchen stand mixer's grinding attachement has the gizmo - but I have never even taken it out of the box.
We got snow flurries in Texas today y'all! This is a big deal for us lol
Many years ago I was in DFW area when it was snowing and it was sooo cold. Heck I'm cold down here in SE TX -- and it is way up to 35 by the wind chill -- but we have been in the 60's and 70's lately -- so the difference seems stark.

going to have to unbox my grinder and see what I come up with. Thanks for the info!

Yes just shoot it in the casing! If not I some times cut the breast in half long ways and pound it flat and smear the cream cheese then add some jalapeño slices and shrimp then roll it up and wrap it in bacon throw it in the smoker or grill it even comes out pretty good in the oven! Never any leftover lol

Back
Top Bottom