Roosters and fertilized egg question!

I had a Silver Laced Wine-dote that was aggressive towards everyone, but me. I also had an Astrolorp rooster that was nice to everyone. I think I got rid of him too soon cause I have two hens brooding with lots of eggs I forgot to mark. I got rid of him when he started crowing cause roosters aren't allowed in Yorba Linda. :(

How many hens can 1 roo mate with and get fertilized eggs. I have 5 hens noe and thinking for getting 6 more hens and a roo

I have 1 Roo and 6 hens and he is mating all day! I also have a male duck that I just had to put in his own pen as he has taken an interest in the hens. Just want to add that I bought a no crow collar and it has quieted his crowing volume. It has not hindered him in any way only his volume is lower. I had searched for ways to keep him as I live in a close neighborhood. No one even knows we have a Roo. He is great at protecting the hens, and the collar hasn't hindered his "manhood".

Most of the hen: to roster ratio stuff i have seen says that you need 6-10 hens per rooster so 12 hens is a minimum flock for 2 roosters-
16-18 gives less change of fights and a highest fertility chance

I have 1 roo to 16 hens, and he does his duty well. For egg eating ollect your eggs daily and refrigerate. Once u eat eggs from ur chickens u will realize store bought eggs are nasty. My eggs look better than store bought eggs. A blood speck in the egg does not determine a fertile egg
You might want to YouTube that. There is a video showing store bought verses backyard Chicken eggs.

I would like to know if I can keep a rooster for brief periods, say 3-4 weeks to provide fertile eggs, then get rid of him. This may sound harsh, but the damage and fear a rooster generates in the hens has to be stressful. It certainly is stressful for me. I have some broody hens, and want to raise their chicks, but prefer the peaceful atmosphere when there are only hens in the yard. I thought I could borrow a rooster in March, and maybe June. Is this a reasonable proposition, and if so, is my proposed timing going to work?

When I added a roo, my girls didn't seem too stressed. I saw no interruption in laying or eating. It didn't take long before he snuggled up on the roost with them. They were far more upset when I added two new pullets than when I added the rooster.

As for mating, I think they just resigned themselves to the fact that he wanted it to happen. He was not rough and they would be scratching and pecking right before and right after it was done they'd go back to scratching and pecking like nothing happened.

I do think they were more comfortable free ranging with the rooster around. They ventured farther from the coop while I had him than they did before I got him and now that he's gone.

So, provided you have the right ratio of hens to roosters, having one doesn't automatically mean it will cause your birds stress.

That being said, yes, you could borrow a rooster for a while and then return him. I would suggest you quarantine him for a month though to lessen the odds substantially that he brings disease or pests into your flock. It would probably be easier to order some hatching eggs and slip them under you broody ladies.

Back
Top Bottom