Roosters - Can they coexist?

McGoo

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Mid Hudson River Valley, NY
I've have had a wonderful BO roo for 4 years and he is great with the gals and with people. One of last spring's hatchlings is an Americauna cockerel. He is now crowing and attempting to mate with some of the gals. It is causing a bit of a ruckus in the yard. (I have 1/2 acre for the chickens (woods/pasture)).

I kept the Americauna roo because I have an EE hen and have considered mating the two to get a few more green/blue egg-layers.

How likely is it that the 2 roos will live peacefully together in the same space? I don't want to split the space.

Thanks for your help and advice
Colleen

If you have enough ladies for 'em, roosters can easily co-exist (once the pecking order and dominance issues have been settled).

I have at least eleven roosters and there are no fights, just the occasional challenge. No more than crest flaring from the dominant roo, and chest bumping and a bit of feather pulling between younger roosters. No injury or bleeding. Of course, there ARE the crowing challenges, but I like the sound of roosters.

My two roos did fine with 12 hens - until yesterday. Then today they tried to kill each other. Loser is recovering in the tool shed.
hu.gif
I don't know...

My two are mostly fine because one backs off and runs from the other. One problem with that.... he ran into the side of a building the other day! A bit shocked for a moment but recovered. Lucky. If that little Serama kills my Appenzeller I'll kill him.

This was while free ranging with their respective hens.

Last edited:
THanks... very helpful. I forgot to mention that I've got 19 hens.... so that should be enough to go around.
I'll keep an eye on them... I do anyway cause I'm obsessed.
roll.png

I have a Delaware rooster and a Dark Brahma. they share 17 hens. the Delaware is the alpha rooster, the Brahma keeps his distance, and so far, no major traumas. Sometimes the the Delaware has to remind the other one who's boss. They mostly free range, but sometimes I keep them all in, in a 200sqft run, with roosts and some obstacles so if there's any major drama, the Brahma can run away and jump on a roost.

so if you have enough hens and space so the "beta" one can run away from the alpha, I don't think you'll have a problem.

Back
Top Bottom