Rooster's crop contains hardly anything although he's acting normal

Thanks for the method, I will copy it down in case I need it later on but I was trying to give him yoghurt via syringe into the beak (little bits into the side of the beak so he could swallow himself) but he kept trying to close his beak. I think i'd probably end up getting it down his windpipe by accident.
Yes, then don't try getting it down his throat. And a previous poster suggested the tube feeding method if you ever have to get something down the throat & I agree that's the best way.
Besides all of the other chatter, mine included, I don't really think he needs anything at this point. I just think that he's just being a good provider & letting his girls eat first. Keep an eye on him, monitor his weight, see & if that crop empties & refills. I am sure that you will find him to be just fine. If not, there's a lot of help on here.

Oh for the love of Mike, "Chicken Witchcraft"? Really?? From Baking Soda, ACV & water? Do some research. It's an old time detox remedy that has nothing to do with black magic or any other kind of hocus pocus. Good grief, next thing you'll be telling folks is that all this malarkey about the Earth being round is a fantasy. Just because you don't know about it does NOT make it invalid. If YOU wouldn't use the remedy then don't use it & move on. "Chicken Witchcraft" (or ANY other kind) my arse!
Witchcraft. Still saying it.:wee

Oh for the love of Mike, "Chicken Witchcraft"? Really?? From Baking Soda, ACV & water? Do some research. It's an old time detox remedy that has nothing to do with black magic or any other kind of hocus pocus. Good grief, next thing you'll be telling folks is that all this malarkey about the Earth being round is a fantasy. Just because you don't know about it does NOT make it invalid. If YOU wouldn't use the remedy then don't use it & move on. "Chicken Witchcraft" (or ANY other kind) my arse!
I don’t think anyone actually believes it is witchcraft and I did not intend to antagonize you or anyone. I’ve almost aspirated animals using proper methods and veterinary training, I know how fast it can happen. That was my only point.

My father in law uses a baking soda concoction for his acid/heartburn problems. That is the only context I have heard of it being used, and I do not see how it would help this particular rooster at all. If a toxin is suspected, I would probably sooner give activated charcoal, but I have not researched any digestive tract “flushes” for birds. If the rooster did have a small impaction in his crop or further down, all a flush would do is further empty his gut and give a lot of discomfort.

To be honest, I wouldn't want to risk it either. I've ordered a dog cage to keep him in for a day so I can see what comes out of him.

I've also heard that putting broody hens in a dog cage is a great way to break their broodiness, especially when our 2 broody hens have been broody for months (despite them not even having eggs to sit on).

To be honest, I wouldn't want to risk it either. I've ordered a dog cage to keep him in for a day so I can see what comes out of him.

I've also heard that putting broody hens in a dog cage is a great way to break their broodiness, especially when our 2 broody hens have been broody for months (despite them not even having eggs to sit on).
You mentioned a grape sized lump of food in his crop. Is that still there first thing in the morning before he’s eaten anything?

Well said!!!

You mentioned a grape sized lump of food in his crop. Is that still there first thing in the morning before he’s eaten anything?
By the morning it's gone. From what I can remember (I might just be imagining things but i'm pretty sure), from feeling empty crops of hens in the past, they just feel like an empty bag with a few bits of grain in (when they haven't eaten much) but its strange that the rooster has like a tight hard grape feel instead of just a loose crop with a few bits in it.

I absolutely HATE my dad. I ordered a cage, was getting excited because I knew I could finally find out if he drops out an poop and he tells me he is going to throw it away unless i return it.

Just saw my rooster standing outside with his tail down. He could be in so much pain and I wouldn't know. If something happens to him, i'll never forgive him.

I love my rooster, he's my best friend and i'd just love for him to come and sleep on my bed with me at night <3

I have taken some images/videos of his vent.
Does this look normal to you? Does it indicate whether he may have pooped or not pooped without me knowing?

Its 3PM here in the UK now and I can't feel anything in his crop.

Were going to be going away for about 10 days, in about 2 days time. I'm not allowed to use a dog cage to check for poop , I don't know what to do.

My parents just have the attitude of "oh he's fine"

http://sendvid.com/41qxo2fg
IMG_1013.JPG

Back
Top Bottom