Roosters dancing over next to you

kateseidel

Songster
10 Years
Jan 9, 2010
This is my first year with roosters, although I've had hens for a few years now. My chickens are all pretty socialized; the roosters are almost 5 months old, and have started ... dancing sideways to scoot next to me when we visit (they all free range during the day).

I can't tell if this is a challenge behavior or if I have somehow been relegated to hen status and it is a mating behavior. Or maybe it's a submissive behavior?

He's dancing for you, apparently, which is NOT a good thing. I'd boot him a good one and dominate him for a half hour until he gets the picture. If he does it again, same, but more of the same treatment. If he sees you as his subordinate, that is not a good thing at all. Walk toward him and push him back, again and again. Dominate him.

he is trying to show he is the dominate one .... they do this to the hens and roosters to show they are higher in the pecking order and stuff ... once he is 6 months old he will be aggressive since all of his hormones will be kicking in then .. how many hens/pullets do you have and how many cockerels ?

It's the beginning of dominance behavior. It's what they would do to another rooster to intimidate or to a hen as a courtship gesture. This behavior can escalate to pecking and full out flogging. My recommendation would be to assure them that YOU are dominant in the flock.

I have been going through the same thing. Mine is only about 13 weeks old. I have been stomping my foot in front of him and backing him up. I have made some big attempts to pick him up but darn he is fast. Once he walked away from me I then walk away. I hope I am doing it right.
How many Roos do you have?

Back
Top Bottom