Roosters? Is there such thing as gentle quiet protective breeds of roosters?????

heartCHICKENS

Hatching
Feb 25, 2017
I was looking for help on deciding a breed of rooster. You better be really good at convincing people to convince me not to get one, I'm looking for help on breeds not to be convinced not to get one. Okay, got that out of the way. I'm going to get a flock of mixed chickens Bantam and full size, haven't quite figured out what yet. I want to get rooster because I liked all of the roosters I have met in person, I'm going to be letting the girls free range, so I want him to be a little bit of a predator protector, we have hawks, coyotes, and stray cats as predators, AND I want to hatch chicks. So, my criteria for a good rooster, is pretty, gentle on the hens, gentle with people, fairly quiet (so my dad won't get mad and make me rid of them, the neighbors are is not a problem, they have chickens themselves!) good against predators and have a nice personality. Whew. Sorry for the novel.

welcome-byc.gif

I've only been able to keep a few .. one at a time..through the years, and just for a short period of time.

I have found them all to be different. I am usually placing them because they find their voice. Can't have a rooster, so use a collar for a while. That works until they learn to move their neck sideways..smart little stinkers. Anyway, most have been very good/nice. But, have had some that I had to place because at a very young age had them come after me! Different breeds. You can have good and/or bad acting roosters. You can have good and/or bad breeders. You never know until they get grown.
Going by the few that I've had like I said. Maybe some others can come on and share their experience. :)

A light breed - e.g. leghorn would be more suitable to a flock including bantams. As for predator protection - you'll get different views on their effectiveness. In my experience, an alpha hen is quite capable of alarm raising.

What are these collars???? Are there any breeds that you particularly like? Thank you for answering so quickly! Never would've dreamed that someone could reply just a couple minutes after I posted. I'm so happy to be on BYC!
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f413.png

The collar Cynthia is referring to the "no crow" collar. It is marketed as an answer for the crowing problem. Some folks say it works , some say it doesn't. I go by the attitude IF it did work no one would have to give up a rooster because of the noise issue. Meanwhile there continues to be a glut of roosters on the market.

As to protective breeds of rooster, there is probably no rooster alive that can defend his flock against any of the major predators, raptors, coyotes, raccoons, loose dogs, etc.

If he fights them he will be the first to die, then he can't help his flock at all. The best a rooster can do is be give warning that a predator(s). is around.. This gives the flock a chance to run and hide, which is the best chickens can do.

I'm sure others will present different viewpoints. Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

I have had 27 roosters over the years all the way from mutts to purebreds. By far my favs are Dominiques! I had a purebred Dom rooster and loved him to death! He would brake fights up between different roosters and even let my little sister haul him on hour long hikes thru the woods without making a peep. Every rooster is different so you can't really base it off of one or two breeds. Personally I would search thru CL and find one that you like the looks of and go visit the rooster and see if he is a good match!
Good luck with your rooster searching adventure!

Greetings from Kansas and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our flock! I agree with the comment above that all roosters are different - at least the ones I've had. I usually let the rooster that isn't mean to the hens stick around the longest. As to predator effectiveness - as was mentioned - there are differing opinions. I feel if (and it's a big if) a rooster takes on a predator but loses his life in the process - but in that moment he allowed some of the hens make to safety - then he died a hero. Just my opinion. Best wishes to you and thanks for joining BYC!

I am quite possibly looking into getting one or two Serama hens because I just love Seramas, do you think Dominique Bantam would be a good choice for rooster???

Back
Top Bottom