Roosters or Hens?

ArkSouthernChic

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2015
my sex linked chickens that were supposed to be all hens, all around 4 months old, two of them are starting to crow and one we know is a rooster for sure.

Welcome to BYC.
welcome-byc.gif
I'm so glad you joined our wonderful community!

I'm sorry to say that all of your birds are roosters. Where did you get them? If you got them from a hatchery, and ordered sex-links, you should have ended up with pullets. However, if you got them from a backyard breeder, you may have ended up with second-generation sex-link crosses. The sex-linking only works for the first generation cross. Crossing sex-links together just creates mixes, that can't be sexed by color. Some people are not aware of that, so mix the sex-links together, expecting sex-link chicks, but end up with ordinary mixes.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I have to agree with Wyandottes, looks like they are all roosters. They sure are pretty however.

Enjoy all your poultry adventures and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Both of them are roosters and I'm sad to say your birds are not first generation Red Sex Links. It appears that whoever you got them from bred their Red Sex Links to each other. Unfortunately Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster to a silver gene hen, are hybrids and will not breed true. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. If you paid for Red Sex Links, I hope you have some kind of money back guarantee on them.

Thanks for everyones comments! we can't have roosters in our area! we have had them since they were two weeks old! as fellow chicken people i know you know how sad we will be to give them up. We called them the spice girls
hit.gif

So sorry your supposed pullets morphed into cockerels. It happens very often. Some sellers take them back and replace with pullets but, I would be afraid that your seller would unknowingly be giving you boys again.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry you wound up with roosters, good luck rehoming them.

Back
Top Bottom