Roosters Pros and Cons

I think it is funny how only 'non crowing' birds are allowed, but people leave their barking dogs out all day and night, and no one has a problem with that. Just a random thought.

I completely agree with you. I have three dogs and I never let them bark continuously and they are inside at night.

I can't have roosters in Sparks Nevada. I ordered all hens from Chickens for Backyards and the two Barred Plymouth Rocks that I ordered were not hens, they were both roosters. So I had to Re home them both. I was upset because I was looking forward to having a couple of Barred Rocks. Now I have no barred Rocks, and they were beautiful Boys too. Roosters are LOUD. But not as loud as my Neighbors Dogs. I suppose it's just as well. I have some Broody hens and I don't need chicks.....that could be more roosters when they grow up. Here is a picture of Regal. He is only 3 months here.

I work night shift, and hear dogs bark all day long while I am trying to sleep. Frustrating. People think their dog is cute, and having fun, while some people are suffering through the noise.

I agree regarding the constant yap-yap of a dog. Some folks should not be allowed to have pets. period. IMO, anyone who leaves a dog out day and night and lets it bark non-stop fits in that category.

Jewellen: Re: your 2 Barred Rock pullets that ended up being male, Barred and cuckoo patterned birds are auto sexing. My first 3 Dominique pullets all started crowing at an early age. I'm not an experienced chicken sexer, but I took one look at them when I went to pick them up, and told the store manager that they were roos. A lot of roos slip through, but, IMO, when a breed can be sexed through outward appearances, the hatcheries are stretching their credibility when they send cockrels when pullets are ordered. I hope you got a refund. One gal on the Maine thread went to check out the PBR chicks at a local feed store, and all of the "pullets" were cockrels!

I agree regarding the constant yap-yap of a dog. Some folks should not be allowed to have pets. period. IMO, anyone who leaves a dog out day and night and lets it bark non-stop fits in that category.

Jewellen: Re: your 2 Barred Rock pullets that ended up being male, Barred and cuckoo patterned birds are auto sexing. My first 3 Dominique pullets all started crowing at an early age. I'm not an experienced chicken sexer, but I took one look at them when I went to pick them up, and told the store manager that they were roos. A lot of roos slip through, but, IMO, when a breed can be sexed through outward appearances, the hatcheries are stretching their credibility when they send cockrels when pullets are ordered. I hope you got a refund. One gal on the Maine thread went to check out the PBR chicks at a local feed store, and all of the "pullets" were cockrels!

They will not give you a refund when you order by mail. There is a disclaimer on "Sexing" on the order page. I just thought it was such a shame that BOTH of the Barred Rocks were Roos. My Cuckoos are pullets. But the roos started Crowing about two weeks ago. I had no idea that they crowed so early.

I totally agree with the nocrow birds....dogs bark and other animals and people make noise...I did find a website that has NO-CROW Collars,I am waiting to recieve mine in the mail.I hope it work!!!!!

I acquired two roo's from my 6 chick straight run purchase, a sweet Blue Cochin, and Blue Ameracauna. They are 13 weeks today and so far they are sweet and quiet, no crowing. Little Roo (cochin) is the first to greet me when I enter the run and is fine with being picked up. Lenny (Ameracauna) is also friendly and will fly up to perch on me. He is also good with being held.
I have three dogs too. My first is a big guy and barks at anything that is within view of "his" yard. He is a mutt rescue and no one has any clue what his mix is. He BARKS at everything. The wind, small animals, dogs walking by, delivery trucks, you name it. It's almost as if he can't help himself. I let him out in the fenced yard throughout the day, but call him back as soon as he barks for more than 30 seconds. I hope that my two roo's are not louder than my PITA barking dog. I am hoping that since he's been barking since 2009, my neighbors won't notice or be annoyed by a randomly crowing roo or two.

You might want to read the thread on the collars. From my reading they are not very effective at best, and at worst, cause what appears to be anoxia and difficulty swallowing.

I was able to get a refund because the hatcheries claim 90% sexing accuracy. In my case they were 100% wrong. Took it right to consumer relations, and got a written statement that they would make it right the next season, which they did.

My rooster is becoming somewhat agrressive with food he is charging at my ducks and turkeys and me what do I di

Back
Top Bottom