Roosters Pros and Cons

knows he's a duck that's so cute

Hi DucksandClucks
In my limited experience I have never seen a fight to the death between roosters.
Sometimes I have seen a sort of alliance happen.
Of course there will most likely always be a "top cock" but I think as long as you have plenty of hens things will be fine.
However there is always other scenarios so don't be "for sure" on my experiences.
I had 6 WhiteSilkie roosters @ once, all in the same run.
They didn't really pick each other very much but them little rascals can jump amazingly high to kick.
Since they don't have spurs it was more or less just a kick.
Some of them kicks were solidly landed too, to the point where 1 was momentarily knocked out.
Of course we separated them after that so we had 6 separate little pens each 2 roosters with and 10-12 hens.
Everything was fine........once we figured which 2 roosters got along. Took about a month.

I have to disagree with everyone saying roosters do not have a purpose. Mine does a pretty good job at protecting my flock of 18 hens. Yea he is mean but it doesn't bother me one bit. I can put up a fight with him. And he only tries to attack me whenever I mess with him. I can sit in my coop all day and he could care less. I know many people would disagree but chickens are living beings just like us and have feelings and emotions. I would get mad if someone came over to me and tried to pick me up and ruffle my feathers. So I treat my chickens with the same respect. My roo or any other of my chickens for that matter are not meant to be my little obedient pets. They all have their own personalities and I'm not going to chuck them in the pot because I don't like them. Yes I have a 3 year old brother but my roo has not once put up a fight with him. If someone wants to see my chickens I make sure to tell them to leave the roo alone. He gets along with my ducks and geese too which I love, calls the hens over for a tasty treat, keeps everyone in order, and protects from predators. You just have to find the right roo for you.

I have to disagree with everyone saying roosters do not have a purpose. Mine does a pretty good job at protecting my flock of 18 hens. Yea he is mean but it doesn't bother me one bit. I can put up a fight with him. And he only tries to attack me whenever I mess with him. I can sit in my coop all day and he could care less. I know many people would disagree but chickens are living beings just like us and have feelings and emotions. I would get mad if someone came over to me and tried to pick me up and ruffle my feathers. So I treat my chickens with the same respect. My roo or any other of my chickens for that matter are not meant to be my little obedient pets. They all have their own personalities and I'm not going to chuck them in the pot because I don't like them. Yes I have a 3 year old brother but my roo has not once put up a fight with him. If someone wants to see my chickens I make sure to tell them to leave the roo alone. He gets along with my ducks and geese too which I love, calls the hens over for a tasty treat, keeps everyone in order, and protects from predators. You just have to find the right roo for you.

I'm guessing since you have a 3 year old brother that you are young as well. Not necessarily a child or adolescent but young. Point in question, my oldest son is 25 and my baby girl is 6.
In light of that "guess" you show a lot of maturity, no nonsense honesty and seem to be quite well versed. I'm pleased with your wisdom and straightforwardness and honestly kinda jealous.
I'm 56 and still can't quite seem to quite find that fine line between assertive and aggressive.

Yup, nice call, my chickens also are not my pets.
Oooops.
I digress, MOST of my chickens are not my pets.
LOL, I wrote a much longer reply but after reading it over saw it to be quite philosophical.....
.so I erased it

I think it is funny how only 'non crowing' birds are allowed, but people leave their barking dogs out all day and night, and no one has a problem with that. Just a random thought.

We are surrounded by dogs. everywhere. I have only ever seen a cat and it was a stray.
we do have a funny little roo, a bantam silkie/polish cross and he is so amusing when he 'heards' the girls to the nests at night like a sheepdog, this tiny little bantam roo being 'cock of the walk'
he even crows at next doors dogs if they get too close to his 'women'
wee.gif

If your happy with your girls..and don't care to have them chased, feathers pulled out, backs bare from a rooster..or you desire chicks..than get a rooster.
I have over a hundred birds..some I hatch are roosters I don't need..and yes don't care to harvest..usually give away...sell some ...and they free range.
They also .make a lot of noise in the night and day..be prepared for that too.
I have acres for them to roam but it is annoying to have a surplus...if I could sex at birth, could be better, but than you don't know what the bird will look like at maturity...)

They do make a good pet, some follow me like a dog...perch on my arm.."talk" to me....one is my guard rooster, Ranger.
barnie.gif

Good luck.

I am just seeing this thread and haven't read all 16 some pages. I unfortunately have hatched out 5 roos and one hen. They are 10 weeks old and getting along fine. Do roos have a pecking order like hens, or do they beat and bloody each other till survival of the fittest? I will be adding some more hens on a second hatch....but have 4 hens 3 roos with this batch(3.5 weeks old). Do I need to cull/relocate roos for hens safety, or can they live together peacefully. First time I have had a coop. All you experts with experience jump in. They are all fairly tame and have been handled a lot. Thanks--Scooter16

Do I need to cull/relocate roos for hens safety, or can they live together peacefully.  First time I have had a coop. All you experts with experience jump in.  They are all fairly tame and have been handled a lot.  Thanks--Scooter16
[/quote]
When the roosters reach maturity they will probably fight over the hens. Also, with so few hens, the girls will probably be over mated, which can result in loss of feathers and bare patches on the hens backs & wings. I would definitely cull or relocate some of the extra roosters,especially as they get closer to maturity.

I am just seeing this thread and haven't read all 16 some pages. I unfortunately have hatched out 5 roos and one hen. They are 10 weeks old and getting along fine. Do roos have a pecking order like hens, or do they beat and bloody each other till survival of the fittest? I will be adding some more hens on a second hatch....but have 4 hens 3 roos with this batch(3.5 weeks old). Do I need to cull/relocate roos for hens safety, or can they live together peacefully. First time I have had a coop. All you experts with experience jump in. They are all fairly tame and have been handled a lot. Thanks--Scooter16
With that many roosters, you will need to thin the herd, so to speak. Find them a new home, put them in the freezer, or build them a bachelor pad. They will not be as likely to fight when separated from the females. If you want eggs for hatching, keep one with the hens. You will soon have to separate your oldest hen from those roosters or they'll run her ragged.

Back
Top Bottom