Rooster's Spur Torn Off?

Clucking_Caramel

Songster
Apr 2, 2018
I have a flogging silkie rooster. We had him outside yesterday while I added chicken wire to the peep pen since they have been escaping (Found them all). I think he cut his legs walking over the chicken wire since I have seen him walk over it and he was bleeding badly. I applied a spray designed for chicken injuries and when my mother wakes we will bandage his leg and disinfect with iodine.

However, His spur was falling off. It seemed to only be hanging by a thread. When I went to feed them today, it was completely gone and he is limping. I have a hen that followed him after the injury and drank the dropplets of blood that fell off. Maybe she torn the rest off?

Will it grow back?

Usually spurs that are broken off will grow back eventually, but it may take awhile.
Just keep the wounded area as clean as possible and do the best you can to prevent infection. The spray you used was a good idea, if you have some plain neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment (for humans) without pain killer you can put some of that on the wounded areas. If it needs to be wrapped to be kept clean, coflex bandaging works well on feet and legs, sticks to itself but not the bird, and is flexible. I buy it in 4 inch rolls in the horse supplies and cut strips to my desired width.
Birds are attracted to red, so that's why your hen drank the blood. If he's still bleeding you can use some cornstarch and pressure to stop it. If it's very red, then wrapping it will protect it from pecking also.

Back
Top Bottom