Roosters

RennaeHanson

Chirping
Jul 29, 2023
I recently got 14 chicks, they are now about 10 or 11 weeks old and I believe I have 4 roosters - one Amberlink, 2 or 3 Barred Rock and maybe one Buckeye. I already have a beautiful rooster but he crows all day and sometimes late at night and the neighbors are getting annoyed so I am thinking about re-homing my rooster and keeping either the Amber-link rooster or the Buckeye rooster...what do you guys do with your roosters? Would anyone be interested in this guy? He is quite tame and has a heck of a personality, I just can't have him annoying the neighbors so much, they have been quite tolerant.
Rooster.jpg

Have you tried giving eggs (regularly) to the neighbors to ease their annoyance?
Advised the neighbors about how chickens eat ticks, grasshoppers, mice, mosquitoes, grubs, and other annoying critters? Their manure is a great plant fertilizer? And the rooster guards the hens so they can keep on laying eggs, eating mice and grasshoppers, and making fertilizer?

Aside from getting your neighbors to let him be, I don't have any suggestions how to get a rooster to be quiet. To find out if one of your others is quieter (the buckeye, perhaps?), you just have to let them grow up and listen.

What I do with unwanted roosters: Chicken stew, broth, soup, dumplings, noodles....... even dog and cat food. If they're cockerels younger than 16 weeks or so, they also make good fried, grilled, smoked, or roasted chicken. You MIGHT find a taker at an area livestock auction, but he'll likely end up on the dinner table anyway.

I'm sorry, there's just no good solution. It's a sad part of keeping chickens or raising chicks.

Back
Top Bottom