Roosting in the rafters?

Thanks so much for all of your feedback. In the winter I do use the deep litter method. In the summer to reduce the fly population I clean/sweep the coop each morning then sprinkle a little PDZ. I also have a directional ventilation fan that I direct upward at night and on their laying boxes during the day( for summer). I didn't want the shavings blowing all over. This has worked so well with only a few flies showing up. I think I will put in the wire ceiling, such a logical idea...although I'm sure the girls won't appreciate it.

Thanks so much for all of your feedback. In the winter I do use the deep litter method. In the summer to reduce the fly population I clean/sweep the coop each morning then sprinkle a little PDZ. I also have a directional ventilation fan that I direct upward at night and on their laying boxes during the day( for summer). I didn't want the shavings blowing all over. This has worked so well with only a few flies showing up. I think I will put in the wire ceiling, such a logical idea...although I'm sure the girls won't appreciate it.
They may have a few crashes before they realize they can't get up there anymore...I had that problem with my starter flock and my mesh ceilinged coop...might want to put up a visual barrier also for a time until they get used to roosting where you want them.

Back
Top Bottom