Roosting in the wrong spot

Lizzy28

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 5, 2011
Florida
In the coop there is a bunny hutch right now theres not a bunny in there but my chickens are roosting on the woodbeams under the hutch instead of the roost that they are suppose to be on. Ive been moving them on to the roost whenever i see them under there but every morning they are under there. Is there a way to get them to roost in the right spot?

I'd either take the hutch out or block the underneath area with mesh or something
smile.png

Well there will probably be bunnys in there soon and i dont think the bunnys would like having chickens right under them all the time
wink.png
Also they go on top of them and get their droppings in the hutches.

Put a top on the rabbit hutch to protect the eventual rabbits from chicken droppings. The chickens will evacuate the bottom of the rabbit hutch when the rabbit droppings start landing on their heads.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

I guess they kinda like to pick their own spot, but if you feel it's going to be a problem, I'd fence the hutch off with some mesh, like mrslb333 said!

Are the roosts too high? or are they just lazy?

We had a bit of a roosting issue and instead of picking them up off the unwanted roost and placing them on the wanted roost, knock them off the unwanted roost. They will quickly learn not to use that as a roost.

You can also get a pvc pipe that is big enough to fit around the roost cut in half and tape it back together over the unwanted roost. Kinda like log rolling in the river. It will be fun to watch too!!

Mine like to sleep in the little box thing that they're meant to lay their eggs in. Does anyone know if that's a problem? There's a roost there for them but I think I might have spoilt them as babies and now they like a nice soft bed to sleep in. Hmmm.

Back
Top Bottom