Roosting in where?

mini-micro rancher

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 12, 2011
SW Oregon
So tonight, I went to lock up the run and coop, since the girls were free ranging today, and yes, I admit, it was a bit late when I did so. Anyhow, my 9 year old son and I did the count. And then did the count again, and then started trying to identify who was missing. I heard a funny noise above us in the run, and, THERE, between the wire roof and the shed roof, were two of my 17 week old hens! ARG! I was able to reach them by standing on a lawn chair (not recommended, by the way) and put them into the run. Without even thinking about their poor eyesight, I tossed the first one like I do when I release them, thinking she would open her wings. Nope. She went, "THUNK!" on the run floor. Ouch. :( Sorry, girl. I got the other one, and gently put her down. My son and I went to the coop and did the count again. Dang it. We were still one short. We counted three, four, five times. Ten. Ten. TEN. There were ten chickens in there. (profanity, profanity, profanity!) So I told Julian, "We gotta check everywhere." We checked all the ground hiding places, sideways pots, dog kennels, etc. No hen. "Okay, kiddo, we gotta check high places. Chickens like to roost in trees." We look, and, lo and behold, there is Louise, roosting high up in the cottonwood tree.
ep.gif
The only ladder I have is my husband's Little Giant. Heavy, cumbersome, but it had to do. I brought it out and extended it, only to have my 15 year old TRY to come out and help with it, and he near broke my hand. "stop stop STOP!" I got up on the ladder and sweet talked her. As soon as I touched her, she started flapping. Dangitdangitdangit! I managed to get a tenuous grasp on her, screwing up a few feathers, I'm sure. I put her in the coop, and she took a moment or two to find her spot on the roosts. Egad.

So, the major question is--do I have to put them to bed 'early' in order to get them ALL IN the coop? We all know what it is like to herd chickens. Is this going to be necessary for a while? Or should I not let them free range for a few days? They ARE learning a new chicken size 'doggy' type door. Is this why the problems? I can't do this again; it traumatized us all too much!

I'm guessing the outsiders don't want to deal with the new door. Can you lure them in with scratch and throw it in the run and lock them in so, they have to deal with the new door? Guessing if the weather is nice they will keep roosting outside the coop if you don't lock them in. Good luck!

Keep them locked up for a few days till they get used to the new door. I had a coon scare the teenagers a couple of weeks back and nobody wanted to go back in the run or coop the next night.They all thought they should sleep in trees which makes for an adventure chasing them out so I locked them in for a while.Now everyone except one leghorn goes to bed by themselves and I just have to shake the tree and she flies down and runs for the roost.Still working on that one, but at least I don't have to catch her.

Thanks! I already let them out today. Saturday is supposed to be 101 here (hottest day this summer). Tomorrow and Friday I will keep them in, but they seem to find cooler spots when they free range, so Saturday I may let them out again. I will just have to be out there near bedtime to make sure no one goes rogue on me! Also, I have to cull one tonight--at least it's the sturgeon moon.

sad.png
I have had to pick them out of the trees three times now, so today we clipped wings. I didn't clip wings on the hens that go straight to bed without roosting in the tree, just the silly girls. It went fine, and I hope tonight they either go to bed in the coop, or at least sit around the coop waiting for us. They are all point of lay now, and I wish they would stop this goofing around!
he.gif

I do remember reading on this site from someone that was having similar problems with chickens roosting in trees and they used a hose and sprayed them with cold water and that fixed the problems within a day or two. lol Hope they start behaving themselves for you

Nope. Nope. And nope. Even after clipping wings they somehow managed to get up into trees and on the outside TOP of the coop. Since they keep doing this, and they should be laying ANY DAY NOW, I stopped letting them free range for a while. Maybe this will solve it. After I get an egg from them, or when my garden is done, I will let them out again. I just can't keep picking them out of the trees in the dark. One of us was going to get hurt!

Oh man! Hope they stop doing that, I know that can be so frustrating. :rolleyes: I had to do the water thing to myself. :/ Hope it gets better for you soon! I must say tho, I enjoy reading your post, so detailed! ;)

Back
Top Bottom