Roosting questions..

GarthRyan

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 29, 2013
I have chickens that are a little over a month old and instead of roosting on their roosts at night they lay right together in a sort of ball in a corner of the run and sleep. During the day they play on the roosts and in the evenings they all sit there for a few minutes then hop off and find a corner and pile up together to sleep. My question is when will they start sleeping on there? I would like for it to be soon since a raccoon just killed one of my hens the other night by pulling her piece by piece out through a two inch hole and pulled all of the feathers out of one of my roosters backs'. But I took care of that raccoon that night..lol..I shot him at about 3 in the morning while he was snooping around by my chickens in the corner.

When they're ready.
Wherever they choose to sleep on the floor make sure that spot is protected from the outside by a board or sheet metal so nothing can reach them.
I have a group of 4 month olds that are still on the floor right now.

I've got two layers of chicken wire that is 2 feet tall and the holes are one inch them behind that i have chainlink fence and the holes on it are two inches and that's what one of my chickens got killed through but now with the two layers of chicken wire i can barely get my finger through there so i think they're safe. Thanks for the reply!

Well hopefully it'll stay buttoned down for now. I'm gonna be out of town until Tuesday and nobody will be there to watch them except someone is going to come and feed them once a day.

Back
Top Bottom