Roosts that are really close to the coop flooring

ChasesChickens

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2020
Sydney
I've got a prefabricated coop I bought online
The chickens I have are still about 16 weeks and seem to sleep on the floor corner in a group rather on their roots

The thing is, the roots in the coop design is about 2 inches from the floor of the sleeping area
Screenshot_20200209-234122_Chrome.jpg

Has anyone got the same experience /problems .. and should I just hace them.sleep on the floor?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200209-231218_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200209-231218_Chrome.jpg
    628.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Nice looking pre-fab! If it is in good condition, the idea to wall it in is good. You could build roosts with poop boards underneath them. The structure may not handle having them attached to the walls or vertical supports, so you may need to construct a separate roost structure if that is the case.

what is the size of the footprint of the structure?

If there is anyway to modify the coop to raise the roost it may be your best bet. Sleeping on the roost is much cleaner for the chickens since they poop all night. Also your roost bars seem to be close in level with your nest boxes. a roost similar height or lower than your nest boxes encourages the chickens to sleep in the nest boxes which can lead to dirty eggs.

Nice looking pre-fab! If it is in good condition, the idea to wall it in is good. You could build roosts with poop boards underneath them. The structure may not handle having them attached to the walls or vertical supports, so you may need to construct a separate roost structure if that is the case.

what is the size of the footprint of the structure?

Hi @acre

The coop is 2.5m Wide by 80cm deep

Screenshot_20200209-234638_Chrome.jpg

Personally I don't care where mine sleep as long a it is not in the nests and is predator safe. My broody hens keep their chicks on the coop floor every night in the same spot. My brooder raised chick often sleep on the coop floor after I let them out until they are ready to roost. My chicks in the brooder sleep in the same spot each night. I don't see poop build-up but your situation is different from mine. You may have that issue. I try to go by what I see not what I expect to see if I can manage that.

At the same time I agree those roosts are not that noticeably higher than anything else. If I remember right Aart's example showed a good way to raise them. You might be able to drop hangers from the roof to support them. It may not look cute but I've been known to sandwich a thin wall or, in this photo a wire fence, in between pieces of wood to put in a support. If you raise them some I think they are much more likely to use them.

Femce Door Top.JPG

Back
Top Bottom